has there ever been a successful lawsuit against the WTBTS?

by doodle-v 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

There are special accounts setup around the world (several places). However many settlements come out of a "general fund" account. However, a lot of accounts are under different names than what would be the ordinary "set up"or use, for the average corporation. Almost impossible to trace! The best way to describe this is "CREATIVE ACCOUNTING". And those are just the ones on the books!!!!!!

Beware, the Borg-Org is not what they pretend to be!!!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

blondie, thanks for that Moyle info. Very interesting indeed. Many of the conditions Moyle describes exactly fit the Bethel I knew in 1971.

A "personal" dimension: Moyle's son Peter was at Bethel with his Dad. When I read the following letter, published in the December 15, 1939 Watchtower, I couldn't help but think how much pressure was brought to bear on Peter. Another family ruined.

IN FULL HARMONY

(The following is from the son of O. R. Moyle)

DEAR BROTHER RUTHERFORD:

On August 8, 1939, when the Bethel family was asked to express their disapproval of the letter of O. R. Moyle, I expressed my approval by remaining seated. After prayerful and Scriptural consideration of the matter I am now of the opinion that my action was wrong. I wish to state that I am in full harmony with the Theocracy of Jehovah and I recognize the Society as the visible part. I desire to co-operate to the best of my ability and opportunity.

Yours in the kingdom interests,

PETER O. MOYLE
    Craig

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

That is heartbreaking.

• rocky220
    rocky220

kgfreeperson, yes it is heart breaking, back in summer 2002, after being out since 1978, I thought of coming back to the "truth".

But after browsing thru the internet and reading about the UN problem, Navy Contracts and oh yes, the child abuse scandal, I was stopped in my tracks. Come back to what? Alone with Jehovah, I know where I stand. As it is with the "Botchtower" and the stuff going on, I'm better off out in the "world". IMHO....peace be with you and welcome to the JWD, where at least we can keep it REAL!...rocky220

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

I find it shocking and I am in amazement that most "rank and file" witnesses are not aware of what is going on. I am also afraid that if they did know, they would deny it, or come up with the excuse that it is satan influencing people to try to corrupt Jehovah's visible organization. Most simply refuse to see truth. I know if I tried to bring this up to my parents they would give me the apostate stare and avoid me like the plague. (they already avoid me anyway, so maybe it wouldnt hurt to mail them some "anonymous" information.

Thanks for the good info! No wonder the WTBTS tries to say that satan and his demons are all over the internet! lol I find myself looking at this newsgroup everyday because of all the eye-opening "apostate reasonings" hehe

• metatron
    metatron

I believe that the Madison Square Garden incident Moyle refers to involved disturbances caused by Catholic Action types

who hated Rutherford's guts. The attendants carried canes and there may may have been a "thwacking" incident on one or

more Catholics. Since Rutherford called them sissies,he may have wished for a greater degree of thwacking by the ushers!

metatron

• Gerard
    Gerard

Devon posted this one a few weeks ago:

GLUCK, JUDY v. WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT

http://portal.courts.state.ny.us/pls/portal30/CMS_DEV.RPT_FCAS_OPEN_CASEINFO.show?p_arg_names=enter_county_code&p_arg_values=30&p_arg_names=enter_index_no&p_arg_values=01180342002 (MUST copy & paste LINK)

It may not be a "hot one" and is still in progress. Maybe this is a good link to check up in the future:

Most Recent Decisions - New York Courts: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/slipidx/aidxtable_2.htm?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Vicky,

Your post reminded me of a recent discussion on another group.

We were talking about lawsuits and judgements against the Watchtower. I had questioned if it were possible for the Plaintiff to ask for a public apololgy in addition to a financial settlement. We all felt the Watchtower would probably not appeal a judgement against them for a lot of money but would probably try to fight the public apology.

Just our thoughts,

Devon

• Gerard
    Gerard

How about this one:

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/jehovahs/berryjehov80801.pdf

Holly Berry and Heather Berry

vs.

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of N.Y.Inc, Wilton Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, and Paul Berry

"Paul Berry is a convicted felon and has history of sexual and physical abuse of children under his care..." "Defendant Berry was ultimately convicted of 17 counts of sexual abuse and was sentenced to a prison term of 56 years."

• Gerard
    Gerard

http://www.koskoff.com/index.cfm/hurl/dbg=0/upv=1/SectionID=15/NewsID=65

Coughlin v. Jehovah's Witnesses and Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York
    October 1, 2002
    $1.55 million dollar mid-trial settlement arising out of motor vehicle death.

Jehovah's Witness defendants claimed that the driver who caused the death was not their employee but rather was on his own private religious trip at the time of the accident.

Joel uncovered evidence of the sect's activities and obtained secret documents during discovery that bolstered the case and caused the Jehovah's Witnesses to pay the highest settlement amount in their history. No offers to settle were made by Jehovah's Witnesses until after the trial commenced

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit