Why we can't afford tax cuts

by SixofNine 80 Replies latest social current

• Francois
    Francois

Bingo! Another personal insult from a lefty 6/9. Can I call 'em or what?

Too bad you waste good space.

Who was John Gault? Now the rest of you don't go telling her the answer like my buddy Thi Chi did with the zero-sum definition. The fact that she can't answer the question when it's provided for her in a rather lengthy post says something terrible about who's intelligent and who's not in this argument.

francois

• riz
    riz

Francois:

SixofNine is a man. SevenofNine is a woman.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""ThiChi, I assume not crediting that last bit of writing was merely an oversight on your part.

That was written by P.J. O'Rourke.""

You are correct. Anticipating the "kill the messenger" mentality, or the "Poison Well" poor debating tactic, I usually leave out the author so we can focus on the information, not the person providing it.......

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Who was John Gault?

This one is exceptionally easy for me, blatherboy. I don't know.

But lets not start thinking you'll provide the assignments, cuz you aint provided jack shit in this discussion in regards to hard information. You are air.

Homework assignment for blatherboy:

1) eat shit

2) die

just a little joke, don't actually do it.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Anticipating the "kill the messenger" mentality, or the "Poison Well" poor debating tactic,

Which is exactly the type of thinking which has me thinking you're a dumbass in this thread. Learn to anticipate with a bit of humility and FAR FAR less agenda. You'll be smarter immediately, as you won't go off on tangents based on... well, nothing, and you'll get a chance to debate not with others, but with yourself. You ought to try it.

I'm a big fan of PJ O'Rourke. I really dislike people who don't credit others or "allow" it to seem as if other's thought are their own.

• freeman
    freeman

Funny thing about tax cuts, when done correctly, particularly when the marginal rates are cut, they tend to increase revenues to the treasury overall. Tax cuts don’t seem to care about what the so-called experts say because they have a history of working to bring in more revenue every time they are cut, even when such cuts are condemned by these experts. Another funny thing about tax cuts to stimulate the economy and bring in more revenue is that it seems to work no matter which political part does it. It worked when Kennedy a democrat tried it, and it worked when Reagan a republican tried it.

Freeman

• Simon
    Simon

I think there is confusion over simplifying the tax system that can increase revenue (as the system itself has less overhead and if it's cheaper, then it's less "tempting" to cheat it" ...

... and obvious kick-backs to rich powerful people to reward them for support.

Cutting taxes for the extreme rich is not going to benefit society, America or anyone other than the extreme rich.

BTW: ThiChi, copy&paster extraordinaire ... there is always a limit on production etc... surely you recognise that you need customers willing to pay for things? They need income to do this. You can't assume that any economic model has inputs of infinite limits.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""Which is exactly the type of thinking which has me thinking you're a dumbass in this thread. Learn to anticipate with a bit of humility and FAR FAR less agenda. You'll be smarter immediately, as you won't go off on tangents based on... well, nothing, and you'll get a chance to debate not with others, but with yourself. You ought to try it.

I'm a big fan of PJ O'Rourke. I really dislike people who don't credit others or "allow" it to seem as if other's thought are their own.""

LoL

1. If you are a fan of O’Rourke, then why do him such a disservice by your comments?

2. The issue is the information, not the messenger, if you can’t understand this reasoning, then I can’t help you. Poor debaters, like yourself, always seem to veer off into name calling and off topic rubbish to avoid the issues at hand. Sorry you don’t "like" it, but I don’t care.!

3. Again, your name calling only confirms what others have already stated here.....

Simon:

True: but please give another alternative or model that works as well or better than the US’.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Passing this on:

Permanent rate reductions provide relief to every income taxpayer and spur economic growth, according to a recent report, "Economic Benefits of Personal Income Tax Rate Reductions," by the Joint Economic Committee (JEC). The report lists six positive benefits of rate reductions and they are summarized below.

1. Labor Supply. A lower rate makes a visible increase in take home pay. That increase provides more incentive to work overtime, get a new or better job, or delay retirement. More work is the foundation of greater economic growth.
    2. Saving. High rates are doubly devastating for savings because not only is your money taxed when you earn it, it is taxed again when you save it. In fact, there are many layers of taxes on income. In contrast, you are only taxed once if you spend money. Only major reform of the tax code will completely solve this problem. However, lower rates ease the tax bite and encourage households to save.
    3. Entrepreneurial Activity and Small Business Growth. More than 20 million small businesses are subject to the personal income tax system. Rate reductions would allow these small businesses to provide jobs, compensation plans, create goods and services, and help our economy grow.
    4. Production and Consumption Efficiency. High tax rates cause lobbyists and politicians to seek tax deductions and credits. Our current tax code is riddled with tax breaks for special interests-which unfairly rewards some taxpayers at the expense of others and leads to tax complexity and higher compliance costs. When rates are lower, we have less need for these so called legislative "fixes."
    5. Tax Avoidance. Tax avoidance is a legal way to reduce your tax liability. As tax rates rise, individuals and businesses restructure their operations, maximize their tax deductions, adjust employee compensation packages and find other ways to avoid high taxes. An industry of lawyers and accountants exists to develop these techniques. Lowering the top marginal rates would reduce this activity because when you don't have to pay as much, you don't have to avoid taxation.
    6. Tax Evasion. Tax evasion is the illegal way to reduce your tax liability. Individuals who engage in this behavior are criminals who should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Like legal tax avoidance, tax evasion rises as rates rise. The IRS has estimated that individual taxpayers pay 83 percent of what they owe, enforcement brings in another 4 percent, and the rest goes uncollected. Rate reduction and other reforms of our tax code will eliminate the incentive for tax evasion-reducing criminal behavior.
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

Calculate your Tax burden here

http://freedom.house.gov/taxcut/calc.asp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit