Jews practiced human sacrifice

by peacefulpete 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Lev.27:28,29 says ..."But any devoted thing which a man devotes to Jehovah from all which belongs to him, of MAN or of animal, or of the field of his possession, it shall not be sold nor redeemed. Everyone devoted to destruction(sacrificed) is most holy No devoted thing which is dedicated by man shall be ransomed; it shall surely be put to death."
    This explains why Jeptha, when promising to offer as burnt offering the first person to great him upon his successful return from war, had to kill his daughter dispite his feelings for her. Judges 11:30-40 I know that it explained away as her going to live at the tabernacle rather than her being sacrificed, but this is clearly an attempt to make the scriptures less offensive to modern readers. His anguish over having to keep his promise to Jehovah and the subsequent bewailing on the part of her girl friends makes clear death was at issue not moving away. The Masoretic text was accually altered to conceal this shameful story. Verse 40 was changed by later jews to suggest that her friends came and "conversed" with Jeptha's daughter each year (meaning she was yet alive) when in fact the original reading was "bewailed" her. Human sacrifice no doubt was part of these people's cult, however these stories while ancient are likely fictionalized stories to illustrate a moral.

• peacefulpete
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Noone has a comment?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

You are completely correct. The Hebrews originally offered human sacrifices, and did not outgrow them until much later. Here is a little writeup I did on the subject a while back:

These are some of the lesser known events in the bible. Religious people understandably downplay them. All quotations are taken from the Revised Standard Version, and have been compared against the King James, New English, and New World translations.

#1 - Jepthah’s daughter, Judges chapter 11. Jephthah is waging war with the Ammonites, and has his hands full, so he prays to Jehovah for victory, and makes a deal. He says in vs 30: "If thou wilt give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes forth from the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the LORD’s, and I will offer him up as a burnt offering."

He wins the battle, and his daughter is the first to greet him. Vs 39 says: "At the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had made."

The society tries to rationalize this. They say that it couldn’t mean what it says, because in other scriptures, human sacrifices are condemned. They say that she went to the temple to serve, and was thereby offered to Jehovah. But, if you read the actual words of the bible, in four different translations, it is clear - she was a burnt offering. Jehovah approved of the vow, and accepted the sacrifice.

#2 - Leviticus, chapter 27. This is perhaps the most bizarre chapter in the bible. It is one that is almost never quoted, and ignored whenever possible. It begins by describing a "special vow of persons to the LORD". It then proceeds to break down groups of people by age and gender, and places a value on each group in shekels. Maybe this can be explained away somehow, but the rest of the chapter makes this difficult. A little further in the chapter, vs 28,29 are pretty clear: "But no devoted thing that a man devotes to the LORD, of anything that he has, whether of man or beast, or of his inherited field, shall be sold or redeemed; every devoted thing is most holy to the LORD. No one devoted, who is to be utterly destroyed from among men, shall be ransomed; he shall be put to death."

As I have mentioned before, if the bible does not mean what it says, then it means nothing, and here it says that once a human has been devoted to Jehovah, he must be put to death.

#3 - Jesus. This one is so obvious that I can’t believe it goes unnoticed. Jesus is a ransom sacrifice, designed to take away the sins of the world. At the time of his sacrifice, he was human. Need I say more?

#4 - 2 Samuel, chapter 21, vs 1-14. In order to end a famine, David determined that seven innocent descendants of Saul needed to be killed. After he had done it, vs 14 says: "And after that God heeded supplications for the land."

Apparently, Jehovah required and accepted seven deaths in exchange for the ending of a famine.

#5 - Isaac. What kind of a test would this have been if it had been an unthinkable command of a condemned action? The idea must have been conceivable to Abraham. It must not have been out of character for God. The tale of Isaac's sacrifice was likely the turning point in Israel's human sacrifice policy. It was probably written by priests as an object lesson to tell people that God did not want human sacrifices anymore - animals would be sufficient.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Fantastic.

Thanks for that.

• Francois
    Francois

Really does put the cap on assertions that the Hebrews were a human-sacrificing cult, and Jehovah nothing but a local tribal god.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

thanks running man...

• seedy3
    seedy3

Because much of the hebrew religon is based on lessons, stories, legends and lore from the Canaanite beleifs, it's no doubt that they performed human sacrifices. Although not full proven as yet, for the hebrews, it has for the canaanites. It is also considered that the Hebrews were a tribe of Canaanites in their infancy, so they therefore would have done such acts.

Seedy

• Faraon
    Faraon

I had this discussion with some exjws in a Spanish site. One of them even called me a brute. I refered them to the Vulgata version at

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=JUDG+11:29-41&language=latin&showfn=on

ut post anni circulum conveniant in unum filiae Israhel et plangant filiam Iepthae Galaaditae diebus quattuor

Most people know that Plangant is the root for plañir, and plañidera which means to cry for someone at funerals. Plañideras were women who were paid to cry at funerals.

The ever lying WT uses whatever is at its disposal and looks for verses and interpretations that suit their doctrines.

Another mind blowing one is the following

! Kings: 16 34 In his days hath Hiel the Beth-Elite built Jericho; in Abiram his first-born he laid its foundation, and in Segub his youngest he set up its doors, according to the word of Jehovah that He spake by the hand of Joshua son of Nun.

This is nothing but a superstition common in old civilizations, that used dead bodies in foundations to protect the gates of the cities.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Let the real truth be known!

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit