When is a Gift a Reward? (Worship Bk chap 7)

by ozziepost 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Are you entitled to receive a gift? That might sound like a silly question to many people. After all, a gift is something freely given, from the heart, so how could you demand a gift, or say that you have earned it?

Yet the WTS appears to be teaching its new recruits otherwise. Most people would think that having faith is what is required for a christian. But the Borg is saying that something more than faith is required.

That seems to be the thinking in chapter 7 of the recently released book “Worship the Only True God”. This publication is the second of the “must read” books for baptism candidates. What are they learning about “true Christianity” TM ? Let’s look into chapter 7 “What We learn from God's Permission of Wickedness”.

“If we are loyal to Jehovah, he will reward us generously. His Word says: "Become steadfast, unmovable, always having plenty to do in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labour is not in vain in connection with the Lord." (1 Corinthians 15:58) It also states "God is not unrighteous so as to forget your work and the love you showed for his name." (Hebrews 6:10) "(page 68 para 17)

Notice the mis-application of these scripture texts to make it sound as though the texts were advocating a full share in the work directed by the WTS. Reliable Bible commentaries show that this is definiely not what is being meant by the texts.

The Borg's teaching is repeated later in the book (ch 8) with these words:

"'Who is the one that conquers the world but he who has faith that Jesus is the Son of God?' (1 John 5:5) ..........What else is required? That we stay close to the congregation of which he is Head." (p 76)

No scriptures are given to support this teaching. Nonetheless the unsuspecting reader, the new recruit, is lead to believe that in order to live on a paradise earth he/she must do the things that the Borg is telling them.

Further in the book (ch 13) we read these words:

"It is possible for lovers of righteousness to act now with a view to proving worthy of survival. What must these ones do?" (page 122) [Emphasis added]

The chapter then lists those works that prove someone may claim their reward of everlasting life:

1. Qualities

2. Support the anointed

3. preaching work

4. love among yourselves

5. producing fruit

What is wrong with these 'qualities'? Nothing in themselves, but scripture does not state that they are requirements to earn everlasting life. That's the difference. Instead, christian belief is based on the promise of everlating life as a free gift. This belief is expressed in the words of Ephesians 2:18 (NIV): "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast". It can never be earned as a reward. yet that is what the WTS organisation teaches and the whole life of a dub is tied up with works, obligations and duties. But where is christianity in that?

New recruits should beware.

Cheers, Ozzie

• caligirl
    caligirl

The idea that I was being told I had to earn a gift never did sit well with me. It is not a gift if there are any strings attached to it. They take so many things out of context and offer definitions that go so far beyond what is written in their interpretations. The scripture where Jesus says that the yoke he offers is kindly and the load light stands in stark contrast to what is required of a good little witness who's gift has been taken away by men and replaced with salvation that must be earned by service to men. I remember thinking as a teen that if what was expected of everyone was considered a light load, then I would HATE to see what the heavy one felt like!

• rocketman
    rocketman
    The scripture where Jesus says that the yoke he offers is kindly and the load light stands in stark contrast to what is required of a good little witness who's gift has been taken away by men and replaced with salvation that must be earned by service to men. I remember thinking as a teen that if what was expected of everyone was considered a light load, then I would HATE to see what the heavy one felt like!

Caligirl, I heartily agree. When I think of the jw religion and what it involves, I can't see how it lines up with Matthew 11:28-30 or 1 John 5:3.

Ozzie, thanks for the continued comments from the book. I'm going to search some Commentaries at Bible Gateway with regard to the scriptures you mentioned. Thanks.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's the explanation about this that I remember hearing from the Kingdom Hall platform:

Sure a gift is free. But you have to REACH OUT for the gift to take it from the giver. Such 'reaching out' involves work, right? You have to SHOW that you really want the gift !

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Ozzie,

I commented about this in your other thread today. The dubs are one extreme but there is another extreme to be wary of...The no lorship teachings of those who say it is good enough to just Believe and by believe they mean just that.Many tv envangelists teach this. They teach that we do not have to try to obey Christ or even try not to sin. They teach that no matter what....if you claim Jesus as your Savior with your mouth then you are saved . That seems to follow Romans but in actuality it is ignoring the rest of the bible where Paul taught us not to use Christ as an excuse to sin. Our faith is dead without works(James)...yes...while our faith saves us....we also will have good works because our hearts are changed. In Ephesians where you quoted, the next sentence says that our good works were prepared so that we would walk in them. I feel that is a very important distinction between the two extremes. Don't you?

• minimus
    minimus

To recieve everlasing life, Jesus said to "sell all your belongings and follow me". Anybody interested in a nice BMW?

• onacruse
    onacruse

ozzie, you bring up a very good point! The Greek terms in the NT for "reward" and "gift" are completely different. "Reward" is from misthos ("hire, wages"), "gift" is from dorea ("a gift").

Romans 3:24 and are justified freely [dorea] by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 4:4 Now when a man works, his wages [misthos] are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation.

I can't count the number of years I carried around the guilt of "I've prayed in Jesus' name for forgiveness, but I have to prove my repentance before he actually grants me forgiveness." Suddenly a "gift" turns into a reward, a wage.

The "works befitting repentance" follow the forgiveness, as a natural and free-will expression of one's heart. Those works don't precede the forgiveness, as if a prerequisite.

Craig

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

When jws come to the door, they are bringing an IF

I don't know that they understand works that occur as a sign of faith, not to repay or pay etc - but works that people not only desire to do, but basically can't help themselves from doing - being strange and uncomfortable when they don't do them - a sign that they recieved a certain gift.

Like when kids get a toy, and then they go and play with it - in other families, a kid behaves him/herself well enough to get a certain toy, and then gets to keep it only if they use it right - is that a gift?

paduan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit