Darwin's lack of evidence

by Half banana 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    don’t confuse bald assertions with evidence. -You

"Bald assertions" don't validate interpretations and conclusions either. -Me

And let me put it another way: My "bald assertions" don't make your interpretations and conclusions any more valid.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Half banana - "...This attitude prevents the individual Witness investigating an evidential basis for belief, for to attempt to substantiate JW beliefs by external sources is a virtual apostasy..."

Probably just as well.

Speaking from experience, as soon as a JW starts looking for actual corroborative evidence that the WTS is right, the first thing he tends to find is the opposite.

And that opens up a whole can o' worms.

:smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Re. the OP...

...the WTS can never budge on evolution; their entire cosmology is almost completely dependent on the events in the Genesis creation narrative being literal history...

...if it's not, then the whole Jenga tower pretty much collapses.

And, in fact, they admitted as much in a WT article a few years back.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Anony Mous - "The dishonesty in the arguments and their insistence to keep reprinting 1990s material on the subject is one of the many reasons I started looking at 'alternative' viewpoints on the Internet. It also didn’t help that one of my colleagues’ mentors were severely misquoted."

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I agree with you Vidiot. The whole Watchtower delusion is based on a literal take on the Bible, this is the greatest folly for anyone. When you read material which contains magic and the supernatural even the dimmest reader can tell they are reading a story and not a factual account (he said hastily fudging the the fact that we all used to believe it was true!)

I would be interested in the WT admission that belief in evolution would deny the BIble's truthfulness--or whatever it was they were claiming-- do you or anyone else have the quote?

• Half banana
    Half banana

@ Fisherman, surely that's why a critical and sceptical examination of the evidence is what is needed. Beliefs and assertions are irrelevant.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Half Banana - "I would be interested in the WT admission that belief in evolution would deny the BIble's truthfulness--or whatever it was they were claiming-- do you or anyone else have the quote?"

I don't have it, but it was about five or six years ago, in a WT article specifically tailored to refute "Darwinism"; if I remember correctly, it also had a couple of quotes from Michael Behe (an Intelligent Design proponent and admitted Christian Nationalist).

I cant remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of... "if evolution is true, then Genesis is merely an allegory/parable, and therefore offers no hope for the future beyond mere survival..."

I'm paraphrasing, but that's pretty close.

If anybody else can find it, great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit