What Is Our Responsibility in Life?

by cruzanheart 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yesterday Sword of Jah read the letter I sent to the elders about my dad's death and responded. He was very kind, even though I called the elders Pharisees and the C.O. stupid and insensitive (I should've been less kind). Anyway, part of what SOJ said is as follows:

Like you say in the letter, if the elders mistreated your dad, they WILL have to answer to Jehovah. I pray that Jehovah comforts you during this time.

That's a really nice thing to say, and I'm not trying to minimize his sentiments. However, how many times have we all heard that phrase? Or this one: "Let Jehovah handle it in His due time."

So here's my question: At what point do we, as thinking, reasoning humans, stand up and say ENOUGH. WHAT IS HAPPENING IS WRONG AND I WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS ANYMORE. I gave this one a good think in the shower this morning (my best thinking time), and I realized that if every single person who claimed to believe in God throughout time had that attitude (wait on Jehovah to fix it), NOTHING would have been accomplished. For one thing, we'd all be refugees from the Catholic Church instead of Jehovah's Witnesses (and still been buggered), because Pastor Russell wouldn't have gone off on his own and tried to interpret the Bible differently from the mainstream religions. The Good Samaritan wouldn't have helped that poor guy on the side of the road. Everyone would abdicate responsibility, and sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

I'm also reminded of the parable of the talents. If you think of the talents as skills instead of money, it would then follow that it is a sin NOT to use our God-given talents for good. Seems to me that if He went to the trouble to create us with the capacity for reasoning, He would then expect us to use it and be grievously disappointed if we didn't. And if we're not perfectly right in every way, does it really matter? Is it the effort, the intention, the heart motivation that counts in His eyes, or is it the fact that we sat for the flag salute (only in the case of one person reciting it; however, if everyone is saying it we can stand respectfully; or, in the alternative, if we are already standing we don't have to sit down, which would be disrespectful).

Nina

• minimus
    minimus

Do we have a "responsibility" in life to effect something? Is it necessary to be the leader vs. the follower? I think our responsibility differs depending upon who we are. If I am gifted with the ability to help people in different ways, then it is a shame if I don't use this gift. But not everyone has the same "gift" or "responsibility". Some people can't even get up in the morning, nevermind think about their "responsibility".....Keep up the good work, Nina.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

You too, bro. I love reading your posts!

Nina

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Cruz' I have pondered this very thought for a long time. My wife and I talk about it all the time.

I am coming to the conclusion, that based on our abilities and the circumstances we may or may not be faced with, it is our duty to do the best we can do, at a given time.

I no longer accept the thought, that a measured or measureable life, or acts or non action, that will be judged by someone or an organization makes any sense.

All of us, "is blessed the right phrase" have different strong or weak points and abilities, desires, urges, goals.

I now believe that my primary responsibility is to be myself. Do the things I believe are correct and helpful. To listen to others and possibly adjust, this responsibility, as I live life. But only if I ponder it and agree. To keep an open mind and learn as I progress.

Try not to offend others, unless I feel strongly, that I must speak up and disagree. Because so many matters of little importance, seem to be a cause for hurt feelings and anger.

You realize of course, that this question has been asked for many centuries. Isn't it interesting that we are still asking this question?

Like popeye said, I am what I am. I think another entity in the bible made that same or similar statement.

So for now at least, I am just trying to be me. As I stumble along through life.

Outoftheorg

• Ghost of Esmeralda
    Ghost of Esmeralda

((((((((Cruz)))))))))))))) I do some of my best thinking in the shower too...but not in the morning!!! :)

I have wondered in the past about this subject, and it came to the point where I had to say "Enough" and refuse to go back. My family struggles with it, but they also know deep in their hearts that the organization has got to stop doing certain things, especially with shunning/df'ing etc.

I feel a responsibility of sorts to tell my story to people, that's why my website is back up, because I don't want anyone to feel as alone as I did when I first left. But it's not like a ministry, though I thought it might be a 'calling' in the beginning days I was on H2O...I know now that my 'calling' in life has nothing to do with religion at all, but in doing the best I can to help others in more practical ways when I can.

It has always annoyed me how JW's turn a blind eye to charity and helping others in 'this old system' saying "it's not the REAL solution." Well, what does a hungry child do in the meantime, if there's no soup kitchen? Can that child wait for "Jehovah to work it all out" in the meantime? No way.

They have missed the whole point of 'loving your neighbor'. They've missed the point of a LOT of things.

I don't even know if I'm making any sense here...just wanted you to know that I'm pondering your post and thinking of you today.

hugs,

essie

• Mulan
    Mulan
    They have missed the whole point of 'loving your neighbor'. They've missed the point of a LOT of things.

I like that Essie. Dave always says this "somehow the spirit of Christianity, the true meaning of the words of Jesus, have eluded them."

They are more into rules and power now.

• amen
    amen

All the points mentioned by outoftheorg i agree with. One can not wait for something that will not occur soon. We are judge by our actions or when we do not take actions where we should have. Justice is also love.

We need justice for all.

amen

• amac
    amac

Great points by everyone, not much I can add besides an "amen!"

On a side note, besides all the flack that SOJ gets on this site, he/she seems to be a decent person to me.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think Sword of Jah has some potential, but he would greatly benefit from spending an evening or weekend with Valis. Our District Overbeer would help him realize the Real Truth and put him on the right path to total enlightenment and mellowness. Might need a few pinches first, though.

Nina

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Ahhh. Some of my favorite women are on this thread.

I like that Essie. Dave always says this "somehow the spirit of Christianity, the true meaning of the words of Jesus, have eluded them."

They are more into rules and power now.

That is exactly what Jesus struggled with when it came to the Pharisees. The Jewish people had a set of rules "10 commandments" that were taken to the extreme. Every little nit-picky thing a Jew could experience was governed by the rules the Pharisees set up for the group. I'm sure the whole original point was to give guidance. But ultimately what happened is the "spirit" of the law was lost in the process. That is exactly what the Borg struggles with now as several have mentioned.

I am by nature a rule follower, as I do believe they are there for a purpose - guidance for the masses. But I work hard at questioning rules as to WHY they are there. This has led me to many interesting...ahem..."discussions" with workmates, bosses, pastors, and fellow Christians. I am not always a popular person for going against the grain and speaking up, but my conscience is clean knowing I did my part in at least questioning. You can't accomplish even positive change unless you question. You can question without courage. I used to think I was a weak little woman. (In the past I was on many occasions.) But today I do feel courageous more often than not. I don't like the word "no" and I don't like someone telling me to "keep my place." (I AM in my place thank you very much! ) My place is to take care of ME. And part of that is to remember the spirit of Jesus new covenant to his followers.

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit