Netscrape is dead !

by Simon 20 Replies latest social current

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

No Apologies,

Your statements re compatibility and choice makes no sense. Do you mean having fewer choices is a good thing??? If so I must disagree.

No, I didn't say it was a good thing at all. I just said that having fewer choices makes choosing easier. Ultimately having one choice, makes the selection a no-brainer. But that doesn't mean I agree with how we got here. I have a lot of problems with Microsoft's business style, and I just wanted to draw the analogy for Simon's benefit, that he seems to appreciate what Microsoft has accomplished because it makes his/our life easier. But he's more willing to complain when the US practices the same tactics with other countries that MS practices with other companies. (imo, he/we have a right to complain about both entities.)

Gamaliel

• jelly
    jelly

I actually agree with Simon here (first time in about a year). I am also hoping that everything moves to open source to allow for increased and fair competition. That probably has about a snowballs chance of happening though. We need standards and competition but in this market we need standards more.
    Terry

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I know many will disagree, but I think computing is one industry where we needed "monopoly" companies to set standards.

OMYGAWD! Just imagine how tight we'll all be screwed when the world is controled by one big mother...board!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

yep we need monopoly to survive!

• rocketman
    rocketman

One day we should see all IM services compatable. The current situation is ridiculous, and from what Simon is reporting, maybe unity is near.

• Simon
    Simon

I think people are confusing open source with open standards.

eg. Will anyone have a problem with Office 2003 which will use open standards (XML) for it's file format? Anyone will be able to write tools to manipulate them and in fact, other editors if anyone wants to use them. The open standards are what allow interoperability and don't lock people into a single vendor as oposed to open source which is having access to the source code (and why do 99.999% of people need this? Who ever creates their own version of Linux or StarOffice for instance?).

I'm all for open standards and using them where possible but I think open source is overdone and there are very, very, very few examples of genuinely good, commercial grade, open source applications.

It all comes down to simple economics IMHO.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

I have just had to run the "product recovery" CD on my computer because Windows95 got too corrupted to work right. As a result, I downloaded the latest copy of Opera and I don't like using it. It is waaaayyyy toooo slow for my computer. I still like using Netscape 3.04 with JavaScript turned OFF. I can download most pages really fast. Whereas, Opera takes about 5 minutes to download a page from this forum. I don't like waiting 5 minutes between pages!! Yes, I have an old computer and a dial-up (28k) account, but I can't afford a new 'puter. So I'm stuck using the old dinosaur. I vote for NETSCAPE!! NewLight2

• qwerty
    qwerty

Poor Newlight2.....

We've been given a Win 95 PC with a wittle Pentum processor. Carn't give it away! It was thought that the wife could practice on it, get used to PC's, even she as only turned it on once.

Netscape..........the fact that Netscape deliberately chose a losing strategy while Microsoft chose a winning strategy doesn't tell you whether or not the fight was fair. Owning the Windows platform does give Microsoft a lot of power to abuse, and as Al Capone is supposed to have remarked: "You get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone."

Qwerty

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

New light... what is running inside your computer at the moment?

Kansas District Overbeer

• Simon
    Simon

NewLight2: I've had the compression turned off while I was doing some work on it, I've just turned it on again and the page downloads *should* be faster for you now.

Let me know if you have any probs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit