RELIGION AND MENTAL ILLNESS!!!

by ADJUSTMENTS 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

steve2, 

I agree with what you write on this issue. 

Probably the best study available on the subject is found in a 1983 article in the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion (MacDonald and Luckett, Religious Affiliation and Psychiatric Diagnoses, Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 1983, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 15-37). 

Findings of that article do not suggest there is more psychoses among Jehovah’s Witnesses compared with other religious affiliations. The study did include a category of "no religious preference" but compared with the various religious categories this group had it's own issues with the paramount one being alcoholism. 

I have a short article addressing this study if readers are interested. See: Jehovah’s Witnesses and psychiatric diagnoses?

• steve2
    steve2
    Thanks Marvin. I note the study specifically mentions "Psychoses", a spectrum of disorders in which there is marked impairment in reality testing such that it impacts signfiicantly on daily functioning. As with most mental health disorders, causality is far from straightforward and most "theories" center around a combination of biological and/or genentic predisposition and environmental factors.
  • ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

To knock on someone's door year after year hoping they will say yes to a bible stupidy and then go under the water is mental illness... Cover for them all you want... They are ill but undiagnosed as of yet...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

• kairos
    kairos
    Depression while being a JW is a sign that your brain is fed up with constructing an alternate reality.

I think this is true.

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS
    Kairos it is very true!!! Some try to live a double life but are then taught you will die at ameggedon for such a practice!!! So go figure your damned if you do and damned if you don't!!! I have a really hard time trying to be a hypocrite as it is, somto see others do it so naturally I knew they had to be mentally off and brain washed or at least bi-polar with a split personality... Ha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit