Discrimination lawsuit?

by SlayerLayer 10 Replies latest jw friends

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

There is a local staircase company owned by on filthy rich JW. They have a billboard advertising "Experienced Stair builders or installers needed--Aplly within" I have experience. I should go in with a tape recorder and apply. When they say "But Chris, you are disfellowshipped" I pull out my tape recorder and ask for a settlement. I think it would work!

The owners son used to work there and once he was d'fd his dad fired him, he threatened lawsuit based on religious discrimination if his dad didn't give him a fat severance check. He did.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Chris

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey Slayer,

I don't think that companies can legally ask you discriminatory questions about your religion, national background, sexual affectional preference, etc.

What you propose to do would make an interesting test case.

Ideally, people would be able to perform "business" and only consider the work-related aspects of any relationship, and forget all the rest of the stuff that doesn't matter. But we are dealing with J-dubs here, so you know how it goes.

Gopher

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!

ANd please let us know how it goes....

• Francois
    Francois

Inspired. Truly inspired.

Churchill said, in essence, that if you couldn't attack a powerful enemy, the next best thing was to attack the powerful enemy's weak allies.

If we can't go after the WT, maybe we could go after WT owned businesses. Can you imagine the hue and cry that would waft up to heaven like the smell of burning animal fat that is so restful to Jehovah if enough JW-owned businesses had to pay hefty discrimination fines?

This is an EEOC suit, right?

Francoise

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Just wondering....

Can you get around the inevitable "we hired the one we considered most suitable (or whatever) for the job"?

If there's a loophole, they'll find it... to cover themselves in the name of "doing what's right".

Had Enough

• waiting
    waiting

hey Chris,

When they say "But Chris, you are disfellowshipped" I pull out my tape recorder and ask for a settlement. I think it would work!

1. Does the personnel department know your a jw?

2. Is the personnel department jw's?

3. If the personnel department is halfway trained - they would never ask you about your religion. It's illegal in the usa - if that's where you're at.

4. If the personnel department does ask you about your religion, let alone if you're disfellowshipped - in the usa, you've got a case if you tape record it.

5. If they are looking for qualified persons - I really don't think they'll care about your status. Good people are hard to find.

waiting

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Waiting,

1. Does the personnel department know your a jw?

The Company is too small for a personnel dept.

2. Is the personnel department jw's?

The person who does the hiring is a JW and I have known her my entire life.

3. If the personnel department is halfway trained - they would never ask you about your religion. It's illegal in the usa - if that's where you're at.

Again, the people know me, and they would indeed make a comment about my being d'fd.

4. If the personnel department does ask you about your religion, let alone if you're disfellowshipped - in the usa, you've got a case if you tape record it.

Yup

5. If they are looking for qualified persons - I really don't think they'll care about your status. Good people are hard to find.

They will.

"Forget the tribe, my pants have spoken."

• Prisca
    Prisca
    Can you get around the inevitable "we hired the one we considered most suitable (or whatever) for the job"?

Don't know about how laws are in America, but in my country you can
    appeal that "decision" (their supposedly hiring of someone more qualified). Then the employer is required by law to prove that the other person is more qualified.

So if you think you have a case, go for it!

• mommy
    mommy

Wow!
    Chris,
    That is a great idea. Perhaps it will show others that not only does DF break apart families, but it limits your employment as well. I have personally known a store owner who was DF and his business went downhill after the announcement. No JW would even buy their meat from him anymore, and it had nothing to do with the meat.

How sad there are so many out there that are affected in so many ways. The best thing you can do for yourself and the community is to make a statement. And I think this statement would rock their worlds

BTW I know I met you in chat, but just wanted to add here, that have seen you alot on the forum. I also wanted to tell you I am really glad you are here, you have added a great deal already. I am looking forward to more
    wendy

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Awww... Thanks Mommy. I always enjoy reading your posts. You always have such a mature outlook on things. BTW Happy Mother's Day!

Chris

"Forget the tribe, my pants have spoken."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit