IQ and JWs

by Freedomrules 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

Do you think there is any correlation between intelligence and membership? Most JWs I've known aren't that bright, and it seems that most that leave are really intelligent.

Just an observation. Any thoughts?

Freedomrules

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

I'm answering myself because my topic looks all lonely.

Freedomrules, what a great question!

Your friend,

Freedomrules (of the "I'm so pathetic" group)

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

I think you've hit on a good point.

I don't think that the witnesses are less intelligent than those that leave but those with a level of intelligence have seen the what the society actually is, and made the move to leave, but thats not to say that there aren't intelligent people in the Org. it's just that most of them are still believers, which blinds them to the truth about the org.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Your not pathetic freedomrules. Maybe everyone is just afraid of answering. I know people who are very intelligent who are still witnesses. Sometimes it's not brains that gets you out but the circumstances you find yourself in. There are all kinds of smarts too and what draws you to the witnesses or pulls you away may depend on what kind of smarts you posess. Cheers!

~Aztec

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I have noticed the same thing! But I do know a few that are still trapped in the Borg that are quite intelligent. The majority are not all that bright though.

I do think that if someone is highly intelligent, it would be much difficult for them to get swindled into joining the JW's later in life. Most of the intelligent JWs I know were in it from infancy.

One thing is certain: all of us here had the intelligence and courage to break free!

• unique1
    unique1

To some degree, but I know a few who were studying to be doctors and lawyers or who are and are still very active. Admitedly that is a very few.

I also know some really stupid people that left. Although they were usually kicked out for getting pregnant at age 15 or getting somebody pregnant at age 15, so I guess they weren't leaving of their own accord.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

When I was still in the org, I used to hear every now and then that "so-and-so is too smart for his/her own good." That bothered me to no end. How can someone be "too smart" for the TRUTH?

It really boiled down to the fact that those with greater intelligence are more likely to demand more evidence before they believe something.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sorry but the logic of this doesn't make sense.If only the smart ones leave and we are gone does that mean only the dumb ones are left? Can only dumb ones leave now? or are they all doomed to stay?

The reality is this organization, like any other, attracts all sorts of people. I think the main factor regarding whether people will leave is more a matter of conscience and refusal to blindly obey every word from the GB than anything to do with intelligence.

Add to that that there are many kinds of intelligence.

My ex while not a good husband was an intelligent person. He used that intelligence to further himself in the organization. I doubt he will ever leave. His status there is the only thing that he gets any self-esteem from

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

That's kind of why I asked the question. At risk of sounding immodest, when I was young, everyone always complimented me on my intellect. I was (and still am) a voracious reader and always asked questions, some questions that obviously made people uncomfortable. I'm generally considered more intelligent that my family members (again, please take what I'm saying the way I mean it. I'm not trying to be arrogant) and I knew from a very early age that this was all a bunch of bullshit and struggled to make myself believe. I really did want to be spiritual, I read the bible cover to cover and devoured the Society's writing. But in the end, I never could develop faith (I guess). I wanted to know. I was always told, you can't see the wind but you believe it's there because you see it's effects. It's the same with God. Or something like that. But I want proof. I never had and never will just take someone's word for it. Okay, so I'm rambling...but most witnesses I knew didnt like to read or expand their minds in any way. Just the society's literature. It even got to the point where the Elders cautioned my parents that I should not study as much...anyway, done rambling for now...

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Sorry but the logic of this doesn't make sense.If only the smart ones leave and we are gone does that mean only the dumb ones are left? Can only dumb ones leave now? or are they all doomed to stay?

Well yeah, when you say it like that it doesn't make sense.

As a generalization, though, the more intelligent you are the more likely you will leave the org because you have problems with their beliefs. Leaving because of selfish desires (according to the org, like having sex outside of marriage) can happen to anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit