Should "Apostates" Shudder?

by Oroborus21 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

I was reviewing the study articles in the May 15, 2003 Watchtower.

The first article: "Christ Speaks to the Congregations" is rather hard hitting against (so-called) apostasy and sectarianism. The conclusion of paragraph 6 says:

"To maintain the purity of Jehovah's worship and to protect the congregation, therefore, they (true Christians) do not extend the hand of fellowship to unrepentant apostates."

Para 9 says "...we need to keep on hating sectarianism, as did the Christians in Ephesus." and the question says: "9. How should sectarianism be viewed?"

Para 20 says: "Sectarians want to do Christians spiritual harm, and those bent on promoting divisions and sects will not inherit God's Kingdom. (scriptures cited) IF any Christian is beginning to entertain apostate views and wants to spread them, he ought to take a warning from Christ! To save himself from disaster, he should repent and seek the spiritual assistance of the elders in the congregation...."

etc. etc.

(ASIDE: in this article and others the Society says: "At their resurrection, though, Jesus' anointed followers put on immortality, symbolized by eating ....." My understanding was that current JW belief was that those anointed upon death IMMEDIATELY go to heaven as part of the 144,000, but this article and others speak of the need for a "resurrection". When did this change does any one know?)

The next article: "Listen to What the Spirit Says" goes on to have a follow-up discussion and mentions apostasy again.

Then in this article I was dumbfounded to read in paragraph 7 concluding: "If the congregation guards what it has--pure doctrine and conduct and treasured Kingdom service--Christ will come with blessed rewards, not execution."

Wow. I have been a Witness all my life and the word "Doctrine" is not a word that is used very often. In fact to my notice, this is the first time I have ever noticed the Society use the word. Usually "teaching", "belief" or some other synonym is used but "doctrine" had always smacked of worldly false religious connotations.

Do you think this was just a slip? Or do you think by using the word "Doctrine" the Society is reacting to the work of (anti-JW forces) and solidifying "beliefs" or "teachings" (which by their implications are subject to questioning and changes) with a more firm use of "doctrine" to imply that such is less subject to argument and questioning?

Finally, does anyone know what the topic of the Saturday afternoon talk scheduled for the upcoming District Conventions entitled: "Beware of 'the Vocie of Strangers'" will be upon?

The Society says it is in regards to "false teachers" and "counterfeit words". My guess is that if there is any talk during the DC that will mention the Internet and the Media this will be the one and it will be a talk of great interest I am sure.

--Eduardo

• logansrun
    logansrun

All this "counsel" against being within a ten mile radius of any apostate is going to blow up in the face of the WTS at some point, I just know it. I'm not sure exactly how -- perhaps it could be used in court cases in the US and overseas to show just how cultlike and isolated they are -- but this overdramaticized polemics against anything non-JW will come back to haunt the Society.

The more they tighten their grip, the more people will slip through their fingers.

Bradley

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Did you just paraphrase quote Princess Leia's statement to Governor Tarkin(?) in Star Wars?

-Ed

• little witch
    little witch

Wow. thanks for that post Oroborus.

Obviously, we apostates are speaking with a unified and loud voice! Waaahooo!

Got 'em on the run, no doubt!

• rocketman
    rocketman

Notice that everything comes with a death threat.

Then in this article I was dumbfounded to read in paragraph 7 concluding: "If the congregation guards what it has--pure doctrine and conduct and treasured Kingdom service--Christ will come with blessed rewards, not execution."

And

IF any Christian is beginning to entertain apostate views and wants to spread them, he ought to take a warning from Christ! To save himself from disaster, he should repent and seek the spiritual assistance of the elders in the congregation
  • Valis
    Valis

Actually I think we should have a party...

rocketman...you have a good point about the threats...what creeps...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• integ
    integ

oroboros,

Check out my thread on page 2505 entitled "District assembly talks about apostates"....You'll find it interesting.

Integ.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    IF any Christian is beginning to entertain apostate views and wants to spread them, he ought to take a warning from Christ! To save himself from disaster, he should repent and seek the spiritual assistance of the elders in the congregation...."

One wonders why Charles Taze Russell didn't take this advice instead of rebelling against the ones from whom he had learned and setting up his own organization?

• unique1
    unique1

I always thought Apostates were ones ACTIVELY trying to turn others against the witnesses. So if you are a non-believer but believe that everyone else is entitled to their beliefs and therefore don't try to turn others against the JW's are you still an apostate? I wouldn't think so.

• Hamas
    Hamas

I find myself becoming increasingly agitated thinking about the sayings of the Watchtower. I still know people inside the Watchtower, and for them to feed their minds with this junk gets me so mad.

Their control on peoples lives is sickening. I hate them.

One day, when Im really pissed off, I might kill them all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit