curious

by bonnie38 29 Replies latest jw friends

• anglise
    anglise

Having been fooled for 18 years by the dubs I dont think I will ever trust a religion again.
    Those 18 years werent totally wasted I learnt vwell how people can control and manipulate the bible for their own agenda, so how could I ever trust anyone with any religious book again.
    I agree with others who have said they follow their own feelings.
    Show love and concern for people and look after other creatures and the planet we are on and I dont think you can go far wrong.
    We too are shunned as a family yet we are not DA or DF just DIsillusioned.

• rob
    rob

After 22 years as a baptized Witness and being da'ed I would now call myself religion phobic. It seems to be partly a post traumatic stress situation and partly an extreme appreciation of the freedom that I now experience. Do I consider myself spiritual? Much more so now than when I was simply following the company line.

• teejay
    teejay

bonnie38,

Your psychiatrist friend sets the stage for his (likely) erroneous
    'diagnosis' of you by admitting that he has no experience with JWs or
    exJWs. "The Truth" is a religion unlike any other, and to be "devout"
    in it has a different meaning than being devout in other religions, even
    Christian ones. By saying that you are a "psychiatric anomaly," and
    that most "devout" people who leave a religion will join another and
    become as devout in their new religion
    is proof of their ignorance of
    JW indoctrination. You are not an anomaly when it comes to ex-JWs.
    We are a different sort of cat.

Personally, I doubt seriously that I will ever be a part of an organized
    group of Jesus worshipers. Not even a small group. I was raised in the
    truth (since the early sixties) and started to question about ten years
    ago. Now and forevermore inactive, one of the greatest leaps I have
    made is that I allow myself the freedom to think for myself, to give
    me credit for having ideas as worthy of belief as any other human's,
    at least for me. I could very well be wrong in the conclusions I reach,
    but so could other so-called Men/Women of God. If I come upon an idea
    that I like or is plausible, then I have the freedom to embrace it. Otherwise,
    I'm charting my own course, mainly down an atheistic path.

Of course I can't speak for all former Dubs, but virtually every one
    that I personally know is involved in a church of some kind. I'm cool
    with that. Every person to their own taste, I say. Several of my close
    personal friends (also raised Witnesses) are church members and have
    invited me to go with them. I was ready to accept the invitation but
    schedules have conflicted so far.

peace,
    todd

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Hi Bonnie!

As my good friend Wingnut said once, "Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship, a relationship with God and Jesus." That pretty much sums it up for me. I will NEVER EVER let anyone come between me and God again, and I will NEVER EVER let anyone else tell me what I can and cannot belive. I don't feel the need for any sort of organized relgion, so I will never join again. I have a very strong faith, but dont' feel the need to be dogmatic about anything, the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. The most important thing is not what we know, or belive, but WHO we are, what kind of people we are and how we treat others!!!

SF,

WHoooo mee??? Well that does explain a lot . I didn't realise how much you went through as a little girl, I'm truly sorry. But in a way I think it's made you stronger, you are a very passionate and caring person, don't ever lose that, or think we don't notice!

You know it's kinda ironic that you fought so hard to walk, and now we call you TWURLY .

Riz:
    that's the first post w/o any refernece to Alchol I've seen in a while, are you on the wagon?

Mulan:
    HAHAHAH the thought of you sitting in pew in church had me ROTFLMAO!!!! You don't need that, you have enough!!!

To everyone else 'MORE POWER TO YOU'

Venice

• jurs
    jurs

Hi Bonnie,
    I'm so glad you posted this subject. So many of you have expressed what I feel. The only religion I saw no flaw in was JW's. Now where do I go??? After realizing I have been brainwashed and involved in a cult scares me. I don't trust my judgement. I shiver when I think I would have let my child die than receive a blood transfusion. I digested such serious beliefs with such ignorance!!!!Yet I desire fellowship when it comes to worshipping Jehovah. I have my handy Reasoning from the Scriptures...I must say I feel stumpted. Y'know the scripture about not forsaking the gathering of ourselves..and The one in 1 Cor1:10 about not having divisions and having unity.. Again I wonder where??? I know its not at the Kingdom Hall. No where else seems to fit either.. JURS

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I thought about this for a while too but rememberthe recipients of that letter, they we're planning and preparing for the persecution they were recieving, and how to deal with all that was involved with the destruction of Jerusalem.

We know we need assoication with people and friendships, but where does it say that it has to be in a 'chruch'? How about when you have people over and show love and hospitality. If your relgious no doubt something will come up, some subject, but you are enjoying fellowship and being built up. I don't see a need to be in a church, that doesn't teach what the Bible teaches any way just to fulfill that one verse. Also we have great discussions and fellowship here online, on the boards, in chat and on yahoo!!!!

Venice

• riz
    riz

Can I get you yet another glass of scotch, Ven?

I never talk about alcohol! Whaddya mean?

rizzy
    (p.s. yes I do)

Insanity in individuals is something rare- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule. - Nietzsche

• jurs
    jurs

Very good point Venice.

Jurs

• bajarama
    bajarama

all religions = (bullshit)100,000

(governing body + wtb&ts + local elders)bible = y

y = (bullshit)1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Any questions class?

(of the algebraic class)

bajarama