Do you remember why the "donation" arrangement came about?

by Jourles 27 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

I remember that they told us why... that it was something to do with the tax laws changing... something like that. My memory is pretty fuzzy about it... I seem to remember that everyone was in a cafuffle about this "special talk" that was being given... would we all be in jail? Is this gog of magog's attack? Yada yada yada. Everyone was kinda let down....

I also remember that they gave demonstrations on how to ask for ca$h, quiet like. I never did when out in field service...

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember when this happened. I read in the Dallas Morning News about this and that the WT had filed the friend of the court brief in behalf of Jimmy (I only cry when I am preaching and in hotels with prostitutes) Swaggart. I talked about this with other JW's. It wasn't a secret in our congregation.

• unique1
    unique1

We were told it was to allow for wider distribution because some people may not be able to afford the mags for $.50 but others might be able to contribute $1 so it would all even out.

• Swan
    Swan

I was told that it was new light. Something to do with the scripture about "You received free, give free." and that all who are thirsting for the kingdom message should "come drink life's water free." Even the food at the assemblies was to be given out free (for a donation) because it was likened to Jesus feeding loaves and fishes to the masses who came to listen to him. It wasn't until after I was out that I stumbled onto a web page that explained that it was all due to a change in the tax laws. That was the first inkling I had that I had been deliberately lied to.

Tammy

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Jourles,

There was a letter read from the Society some years ago about this. At my hall it was read at a Sunday meeting, quite unusual.

We were told as many here have said, about the possibility of the literature being taxed because of something going on in California.

Linda

• rocketman
    rocketman

In my congregation (I was an elder at the time) the rank and file were not told the real reasons behind the change. It was labeled as "simplification" and dressed up with scriptures, which just goes to show how they use the Bible to suit their own purposes.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

The Watchtower Way of Laundering Money

http://www.freeminds.org/history/launder.htm

(about Swaggfart and the "new light" on contributing for the books)

Randy

• onacruse
    onacruse

Randy, thanks for that link. I'm in the same boat as Tammy, I'd never heard a word about the Swaggfart (LOL)-WTS connection until I read about it (on your site), a few months ago.

And so the laundry list of WTS deception just gets longer and longer.

Craig

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

The case that forced the Jehovah's Witness' hand on this issue is Swaggart v. Board of Equalization. The Jehovah's Witnesses filed an amicus brief ("friend of the Court" brief) with the Court on this case. Amicus briefs are filed by individuals and/or entities that are not parties to a given court action but whose interests may be affected by the outcome of the case. Years back, I read the amicus brief filed by the Witnesses in that case and found that they claimed (paraphrased from my memory) that every Jehovah's Witness is a door to door publisher. If my memory serves me correct, there were always several Jehovah's Witnesses who did not engage in "field service." That representation, made to the highest court of our country, seemed dishonest to me. I've raised the issue with several witnesses, and was told there was nothing dishonest about that statement. They said "if you're not going from door to door, you're not a witness." That "new light" continues to flow! Is there a radiation leak?

What's really hilarious about that brief is that in effect, it was advocating a decision in favor of Jimmy Swaggart. Imagine; Jimmy and the org as a team? The possibilities are scary!!!

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I remember the changeover very well. Maybe our congregation was unusual, but everybody I knew understood that it was due to fear of being taxed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit