What GOOD has ever come about from Christianity ?!?!

by Hamas 25 Replies latest jw friends

• donkey
    donkey

If I told you I believe in Orange Fairies with blue polka-dot wings....you would definitely say I am mentally ill

If I told you that I hear voices....you would say I am mentally ill

If I told you that God speaks to me...you would say I am likely mentally ill

You believe in God...only he does not talk to you so you are totally sane...nice going....you have convinced me that you are not mentally ill!!

Jack

• Realist
    Realist

i am not sure but i think a lot of our ethics are derived from original christianity (repsectively the groups that came up with it originally). thus with a little detour of some 1500 years something good came out of it after all

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Perhaps the question should be, "What good has come about from Christianity, that would not have come about from another religion?"

My husband's grandma was a dear woman, wonderful, generous, loving...she would have been all those things if she had been some other religion. Good people who feel impelled to do things for others through education, medicine, other types of charity, do those through whatever religion they belong to.

A religion that encourages self-control and kindness (without heavy emphasis on dogma) is a good thing. Some Christians emphasize these positive qualities of Christianity. Good. But I think any other religion which emphasizes good qualities is equally good.

In reading this thread, I didn't see any suggestions that were made as proof of Christianity's goodness, that other religions could not claim as well (or at least very similar claims, in the case of European unity - assuming that's a good thing and didn't have more to do with Roman megalomania).

Liz, militant agnostic ("I don't know and you don't know either!" )

• bebu
    bebu

Christian ethics: Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. Love your neighbor as yourself--and this extends to loving those who are different from your group, the "Samaritans" you dislike. And not just the ones you may dislike, but loving those who actively hate you; praying for the best of those who are persecuting you. Forgiving all those who sin against you--or you will forfeit your own forgiveness from God.

...Stop judging people based simply on their actions; submit/commit your way to God, who knows your own heart (and every one else's true motives as well)... Live with love; live in faith in God to work all things to good. Because Jesus lives, there is always hope.

Also, actively doing good by assisting the poor, or inviting the poor to occasions tho' they can't return favors. Lending without expecting payback. Turn the other cheeck; go the extra mile. Doing good works/fasting/praying without a trumpet in front of you. Whatever you do to the "least" on earth is considered an act toward Christ.

We might be able to count hospitals, but think of the people that, because they were Christians, obeyed Christ's commands and forgave/prayed for/ helped others. The forgiveness that has flowed in my own family came only because of such obedience, and the goodness that has resulted is immeasureable! It keeps on coming, too.

bebu

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    EVER been anything good come about thanks to Atheism

Atheists don't prostelise thier views (generally), so who knows what atheists did good things?

And Bebu, spare me. Every person should take care of their families first, then help others. But, this isn't because God isn't helping them, but because the needy people can't take care of themselves. God isn't even in the picture. God takes care of no one. I can't remember the last time God fed, financially helped, cured or comforted anyone I know. He's never even offered me a cup of coffee and a conversation. Why?

HE DOESN"T EXIST. Figments of the imagination cannot be debated, but that is why religionists always win the arguments, isn't it? Their position is so ridiculous that it's like fighting the air. Why bother.

ash

• Realist
    Realist

bebu,

The forgiveness that has flowed in my own family came only because of such obedience, and the goodness that has resulted is immeasureable! It keeps on coming, too.

you are not a JW are you???

Christian ethics: Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.

what is that good for???

And not just the ones you may dislike, but loving those who actively hate you; praying for the best of those who are persecuting you. Forgiving all those who sin against you--or you will forfeit your own forgiveness from God.

nonsense that no mentally normal person can do.

submit/commit your way to God, who knows your own heart (and every one else's true motives as well)... live in faith in God to work all things to good. Because Jesus lives, there is always hope.

to bad jesus doesn'T live.

Doing good works/fasting/praying without a trumpet in front of you.

why is fasting and praying to the invisible man in the sky good? its a wast of time if you ask me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit