Review: Apostasy

by neat blue dog 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Stan's recent post about the Apostasy movie reminded me that I had watched it last month, so I thought I'd write a review. Please note this will probably contain some spoilers so if you care about that sort of thing hold off on reading this.

First I want to say that this is probably one of the most if not the most accurate and reasonable cinematic portrayals of JWs. However here is a list of little inaccuracies: An outdated view that preaching to all the world can 'make' the end come, Jesus briefly portrayed with long hair, judicial reinstatement meetings being called "guidance meetings", a normal weekly public talk being introduced as "the first in a series of talks he's prepared for us", applause at the end of a local needs part, and a JW saying of God "you need to earn His love, it's conditional" ( I know this is basically true in practice but they'd rarely say it out loud). But these are really minimal that only an active JW would notice, and overpowered by the authenticity that makes it engrossing because these things in general really have, are and will happen to JWs worldwide.

The song "Jehovah Is Your Name" was used, without permission of course, but I'm sure it's acceptable as fair use under copyright law, to make it accurate. There's even an imitation JW Broadcasting style commercial, with the earnest, faux down-to-earth American accented announcer lulling in sad folks with promises of cut and dried truths from one source only, and a sure hope for the future only one brand can offer.

Getting past the British lingo which at times might be hard to understand for an American, it's a very relatable story. Music is minimal which also adds to the realism. Some interesting touches are the protagonist thinking out loud during some scenes, as well as the unorthodox choice to unexpectedly switch protagonists halfway through the film, which sounds awkward on paper but works well. Even with the serious subject matter room is found for a little humor in an exchange about rhinos. There is often truth in humor however, and this scene highlights the awkwardness that often accompanies JW's shoehorned efforts to 'witness' coupled with the non-sensicallness of their beliefs. In the scenes involving the mother spouting cliches in regard to everything from 'returning to Jehovah' to 1975 apologetics you may feel your anger rising (I know I did) because it's so typical and real.

The PIMI JWs in the film aren't demonized, but presented reasonably and as humans who are individuals who just happen to be brainwashed. The love-interest in the film like many JWs is both a victim and a perpetrator. A die hard full time servant and new Elder, he is stunted and awkwardly traverses life and courting, but is ready to render judgment on others with 'righteous' authority. The JW mother in the film is very depressing to watch as she reminds me a lot of my own and probably many others, sapping the joy from everything. Her encouragement to pursue courtship with the aforementioned man is based solely on his 'spiritual qualifications', and the recommendation she gives her daughter is, "he's very suitable". Her eyes are glazed over, and no matter how much she's abused by the system, she keeps going back for more, dragging her children down with her.

Two profound moments in the film that struck me were when children were putting on a Bible play of the story of Solomon's test of the two prostitutes to find out who was the baby's mother. Regarding Solomon's ruse, pretending he was about to kill the child, it was said "a true mother doesn't want to see her baby die", and this hearkened to the blood issue, LITERALLY letting your child due, which is a plot element in the story. Another powerful moment was when one character just had to come out and say 'the governing body, they just make stuff up. and people die because of it.'

Truth hurts. The truth about the truth hurts. But ignoring it hurts more. This isn't the whitewashed JW lifestyle of the staged scenarios in official publications. But it also isn't a worst case scenario with over-the-top black-and-white villains. It's a conglomerate of true stories we've all lived through. It's a bittersweet story of losing your humanity to a cult, but by bravery taking it back. This is real. This is happening. And that is the scariest story of all.

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Listening to the talk about Alex after she died made me feel ill that I believed that rubbish once. It all sounds so stupid once you've been away from it for a while, you can see the brainwashing in the elders talk about shunning. I enjoyed the film overall though

• cobweb
    cobweb

Nice review. I agree there was the odd little thing that didn't quite sound natural to our well tuned ears but these were not important. With regard to pics of jesus with long hair, the songs & the broadcast, these all had to be approximated as they couldn't use the real thing due to copyright. Believing JW's may use the fact that the real pictures, songs aren't used to say its inaccurate but it has to be this way or they would be sued.

I believe the term 'guidance meetings' may be a regional thing as in an interview i think i heard the director say they were called that where he lived.

Its interesting that you say the mum reminds you of your mum. The director commented that he has been told this a lot.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That’s the best review of the film I’ve read.

Personally I found the film very bleak. The film is true in the sense that the important details are accurate, and it rings true on a deep level when it touches upon what it actually feels like to be a JW.

At the same time I would also enjoy seeing a film that shows JWs who are not quite this miserable, because not all JWs are this miserable; a more ordinary depiction where disaster doesn’t necessarily strike. But I guess that wouldn’t make much of a story.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

But it's when 'disaster' strikes, (life disasters, not easy things like natural disasters), that JWs true colors are shown. And it needs to be shown.

• steve2
    steve2

Good review. There are a couple of unexpected - but believable - twists in the plot that made the film more powerful. No spoilers from me though.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

The film has now been taken off you tube, and I guess my post with the link has been erased.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Good review. I missed the allusion to the blood issue in that Soloman skit. Only a true mother doesn't want to see her baby die. Unless she's in a mind control cult of course. Good catch.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Has this film been shown in Australia ? I would hate to think I`ve missed it .

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Stan:

That's okay, it's still on demand on Google Play and Amazon, as well as Blu-ray and DVD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit