Yet Another Question For People in Europe

by gitasatsangha 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

This goes into the whole football-soccer thing. I was watching a sports channel last night and an NFL-Europe game came on between the Scottland Claymores and the Amsterdam Admirals. The stadium was huge (regular football stadium) but it looked like about 500 people were in attendance. They had to pipe in phoney crowd noise through the PA system. I haven't ever paid much attention to NFL-Europe till now (though one of my favorite college players is over there.. for Rhein Fire, I think). It looked like all the players were just rejects from American teams, sent over to improve their game. Didn't see what I would think would be a European playing there (but who knows)

Does anyone in Europa actually watch NFL-Europe or is it just a joke over there? Is there enough interest in American style football (someone told me its called Gridiron over there) to actually support these teams?

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Erm, never heard of it.

Ignored One.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

that answers that.

BTW, the league's webpage is at

http://www.nfleurope.com/

I seem to recall there being a team in London but apparently they disbanded it.

• jelly
    jelly

People outside of America tend to hate American football. I really dont see why the NFL is attempting to sell this to Europe. Personally American football is my favorite sport, hands down no other is even close.

Terry

• Prisca
    Prisca
    They had to pipe in phoney crowd noise through the PA system.

hahahahha..... how pathetic!!

• Rado Vleugel
    Rado Vleugel

No one I know likes it or watches it.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it is American. I think it's just because soccer is the sport we use to play in Europe.

In my country the most popular sports are: soccer, cycling, skating, tennis and swimming.

Rado Vleugel
    The Netherlands
    http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org

• hurt
    hurt

I don't. My friends don't. But Ithink a few of them do a bit of rugby, which, by the way, is a real sport.

• greven
    greven

Like Rado said, little is known about it here in the Netherlands, on TV mostly there is Soccer and currently Darts is becoming popular.

Greven

• Hamas
    Hamas

Never heard of it, sorry

Just a bunch of crazy yanks running around with over padded shoulders isn't it ?

Watch a real game of sport

Terry Butcher, doing something most spoilt brats in the England squad today would never do.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

That pic of T. Butcher looks like one of our local hockey players.

NOW there's a sport: hockey

"He shoots, he scores!"

I guess it's the reverse over here in North America: soccer, cricket and rugby. They're just not popular over here.

Vice-versa in the U.K. and Europe and I suppose Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

I can hardly sit through a soccer game without fidgetting. Cricket bores me to tears, and rugby well...seems to exist on some university campuses. I saw it on TV a few times, but it didn't interest me.

North American football (NFL/CFL) is way more fun, besides, how often is it you get to see guys wearing super-tight lycra sportswear? OK...ladies admit it...um..you watch for the goal posts..right?

Hockey: Aztec and I will agree on this. We'd 'bout ready to jump out the window during a hockey game. Seeing a game live for us, is equivalent to hearing a 747 roaring by your face.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit