Mandatory Reporting Laws in Canada - Child Abuse

by OrphanCrow 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The issue of whether or not the elders have a duty to report is clear cut in Canada. This will make it impossible for the WTS to wriggle out of the wrongs that have been exposed in Quebec recently. The elders in those situations have received their instructions from the WTS lawyers and they have been advised wrongly.

For several years (can't remember when this was made law...years back), it has been mandatory for everyone in Canada to report suspected cases of child abuse, which, naturally, include the sexual abuse of minors. A person doesn't have to know for sure if a child is being sexually abused...they just have to suspect and they have a "duty to report".

From the FAQs page of Canadian Child Welfare Research Portal:

http://cwrp.ca/faqs#Q5

Do I need to report child abuse and neglect?
    Yes. Everyone has a duty to report child abuse and neglect under Canadian child welfare laws. Professionals who work with children and youth have an added responsibility to report.
    You are obliged to report child maltreatment if you know or suspect it is occurring. This is called the 'duty to report'. Every person in Canada has the duty to report known or suspected child maltreatment by law.

And who does a person report to?

Who do I call if I suspect child abuse or neglect?
    Known or suspected abuse or neglect of a child must be reported to:
    local child welfare services (e.g., children’s aid society or child and family services agency), or
    provincial/territorial social service ministries or departments, or
    local police

You will note that the Watchtower Legal Department is not included in that list as to "who to call".

For all Canadian elders who received legal advice from the WTS, I think you have received really bad advice. And, that includes each and every person who knew about, or even suspected, child abuse happening in the congregation. The mandatory reporting laws include everybody - you, me...every single Canadian. The parents of that child, the neighbors, the ones in the congregation that suspected the abuse was occurring...all of them.

People think they are exempt from reporting if they aren't acting in a professional capacity. In Canada, you are not exempt.

I myself have reported to the authorities, on more than one occasion, suspected child abuse. I make no apologies for doing so and, sometimes, it has involved family and friends. How else would I know about it except that I was close to the situation? Yes...I was the one who called...if anyone needs to know.

Why? Because I know my legal responsibility. Not just my moral responsibility - my legal responsibility is to report to authorities when I see or suspect a minor is being harmed. And I do that. And not just when my job has required it - I do it in my personal and social life.

The JWs do not take legal and social responsibility and in Canada, the law is clear on mandatory reporting. Very clear.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That is what every State in the USA needs to do as well.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Very good post. Thank you for your research. I wish, as was Doc said, it was mandatory here in the US as well. But now come to think of it, if they don't readily report in Canada even though there is mandatory reporting, then I would bet the pattern would follow in the US as well.

So much for what Jackson said at the ARC about how it would solve that problem of whether to report or not. Hmm.

• schnell
    schnell

An elder in my congregation tried to put me at ease. He relayed through my mother that in a previous congregation, he and the body of elders reported a case of child molestation, and thus felt vindicated in Watchtower's protection of children.

That previous congregation is in Oregon. They were mandated to report this. Not all states have such a mandate, which means that JW offenders can cross borders and offend again.

And to the apologists who say that this is what Jackson asked for and that it would be great for the brothers to be required to report: Would that negate decades of neglect? Does a good tree produce rotten fruit?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The WTBTS and Christ's "brothers", cannot do the right thing unless Satan's minions pass a law....

DD 😑

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

DoC said:

That is what every State in the USA needs to do as well.

Most US states and territories do require reporting, per the Department of Health and Human Services (links to PDF summary of state laws). Laws vary from state to state; some allow a "clergy privilege", most limiting that specifically to a "confessional" privilege (meaning that anything learned outside of a one-to-one, confidential session is not privileged and must be reported), and some deny confidentiality privileges for spouses or medical professionals, as well as clergy (don't mess with Texas, they are strict!).

• smiddy
    smiddy

Mandatoy reporting in all Australian states of child sexual and other abuse would make life easier for the WTB&TS /Jehovahs Witnesses, Elders if and when it becomes law .

In the meantime up until this year 2016 no such law has existed in all states of Australia. So for the past 100 + years in most states of Australia it is possible that child sexual abuse has been carried on in Jehavahs Witness congregations and been handled by Elders who have not gone to the relevant authorities but conducted in-house with the judicial committee of three male Elders.

I wonder how many more victims are out their that have gone un detected and no one can speak up for them .

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

That is what every State in the USA needs to do as well - absolutely.

In fact, all other countries should copy Canada in this instance.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All the clear-cut Reporting Laws in Canada suggest to me...

...is that the Org is skirting the law even more egregiously in Canada than they are elsewhere.

'Cause there's no f**king way that there's somehow less child abuse in Canadian JW congregations than in the rest of the world.

• talesin
    talesin

OC - nice work! This has been federal law for decades. When I took my training (working with rape crisis), that was back in '95. It was the law then. Just a heads up, and good to see this thoroughly presented. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit