Just saw a great movie

by DanTheMan 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

If you haven't seen "Man on the Moon" where Jim Carrey plays Andy Kauffman, do yourself a favor and rent it. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

alt

• Brummie
    Brummie

This was showing on Sky TV a couple of months ago, was on almost every night and I never taped it! Didnt realise it would be so good. geesh.

Brummie

• blondie
    blondie

Dan, were you watching Entertainment Tonight? They were featuring Jim Carrey and showed a segment on how he had to audition for that part.

I need a laugh. We'll rent it for this weekend if we can.

Blondie

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Brummie:

You're in the UK right? I don't know if Andy was known at all in the UK, if not you may not get a lot of it.

Blondie,

Yes the movie is insanely funny, Jim Carrey plays Andy Kauffman so dead-on it's scary. But I must warn you that the ending is pretty sad, I got a little choked up.

• shamus
    shamus

Yes, I loved that movie. Highly under-rated. Andy Kauffman (sp?) was a FREAK! He was insane, and he did not care what others thought of him.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I sometimes expect Andy Kauffman will appear one day and say the whole thing was just another prank he and Zmuda worked up.

A very good movie, indeedy!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Dan

I must agree. It is a great movie. Jim Carey did a splendid job. You've got me wanting to see it again.

Robyn

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There was one thing about the movie that confused me - I was always under the impression that Andy's feud with the wrestler Jerry Lawler was very real. But the movie presented it as if Jerry and Andy staged the whole thing. I guess I'll have to do some research.

If I find out that the movie was taking artistic license in order to sanitize this bizarre episode in Andy's life, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy Dan.

I'm glad you liked the movie. It was pretty accurate. Back in the day I was a big Andy Kaufman fan and I remember watching a lot of this when it happened. Yes, they presented the Jerry Lawler relationship accurately. It was a scam to hype up Andy's "wrestling". The incident on the David Letterman show happened just the way it was shown in the movie. I remember watching that when it happened and I thought, for awhile at least, that they were serious. Later I realized it was just a scam.

The only thing they took artistic license with was the ending with someone (Andy?) playing Tony Clifton. That is based on a benefit for cancer one year after Andy died. Bob Zamuda played Tony in the real benefit.

You're right, it was a good movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you have cable and can get the "E" channel (Entertainment), they re-run the old Saturday Night Live and sometimes you can catch Andy Kaufman. In one episode he did the Elvis routine. It was great.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I saw most of it one day when it was playing on cable.................taped the rest because I had to leave the house. VCR was screwed up and I didn't get it. I really enjoyed that movie too, what I saw at least. I only missed about 30 minutes to the ending. I'll get it again.............it's on cable pretty often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit