Eloise Dupuis' husband gets medical files (Quebec, Canada)

by OrphanCrow 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

This article is in French but it translates fairly well:

The husband of a Jehovah's Witness who died after giving birth

The husband of Eloïse Dupuis, a Jehovah's Witness who died after giving birth at the Hôtel-Dieu de Lévis, may have the complete medical record of the deceased.
    A text by Yannick Bergeron

The husband is looking for someone to blame for his wife's death.

Paul-André Roy wants to submit the medical file to an independent expert to determine whether the work of the medical staff opens the door to a lawsuit.

"Independent expert". That will likely be one of the WT's "bloodless" experts. A doctor from the HLC's "cooperative doctors" list. I wonder who the expert will be...

And this:

The husband could also appeal against the media, which would have infringed the honor and dignity of Eloise Dupuis by undermining his reputation after his death.

*I am having edit problems...
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Am I reading this right ? Eloise Dupuis and her husband ,both Jehovahs witnesses both rejected the wifes given a blood transfusion if the medical profession deemed fit if she needed one.

Eloise Dupuis died after refusing a blood transfusion supported by her husband,

And now the husband is looking for loopholes to sue the Doctors and medical staff for not saving his wife `s life ?

The husband is looking for someone to blame for his wife's death.

He should take a good hard look at himself and his religion in the mirror because the buck stops their .

To seek compensation for his ignorance and stupidity from the doctors shows where his priorities lie ,$$$$$$$

It`s cases like this that I wouldnt blame the medical staff for not treating JW`s at all because of the way they are treated in this manner.

I hope his lawsuit is thrown out of court and that he gets hit with expenses incurred..

My blood boils when they seek medical help deny the doctors/medical staffs recommendations and then have the audacity to charge a lawsuit against the profession when they ignored the medical counsel given.

What is wrong with these people.,is it all about $$$$$$$ in compensation ?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Yes, Smiddy, you have read the article right.

What is wrong with these people...?

I think that the biggest thing wrong with "these people" is that they have been bombarded with the WT's erroneous messages for so long that they truly believe that a person can and should survive a blood refusal in all cases.

The WT has spent years extolling the virtues of alternative medicine, including recruiting doctors to their noblood ideology, and issuing press releases every time somebody miraculously pulls through a life threatening situation, attributing their survival to some oblique bloodless practice.

JWs have an unrealistic expectation about how blood transfusions are not necessary and how, if a patient even needs a blood transfusion, it is because of the surgeon lacking skill. The WT has subtly, and not so subtly, maligned conventional medical practice so that the ordinary JW believes that if a person dies after blood refusal, it has to be the doctor's fault.

Those false beliefs about blood stay with a person for a long time, sometimes for their entire life. Always believing that the WT has given them the correct information (the WT wouldn't lie!).

For example, I was speaking to my father a few years back about the blood doctrine. He left the JWs way back in the late 60s but he had attended the Kingdom Ministry School in Toronto in the mid-60s. This is what he said to me (and when he said this, his voice did that weird timbre and cadence change...he slipped into his WT trained 'instructive' voice): "There is no need for a blood transfusion. Doctors have a product that is a saline solution that works just as good as blood." I said, "Dad, who told you that?"And he replied, "Well, that is what we were told in Toronto."

I had to have a little chat with my dad and update him on the uses of Ringer's lactate and the inability of it to perform as good as blood. And I told him about how the US Army used JW patients back in the 60s to test the limits of Ringer's Lactate, resulting in many deaths. Those who died basically drowned from fluid build up in their lungs.

The Coroner's inquest into Eloise's death is still ongoing and the media attention around this case was intense when she died. In addition to Eloise's husband dealing with the pain and grief of losing his wife, I wouldn't be surprised if he has been receiving "spiritual direction" from the WT's spiritual legal/medical team. They will be looking for ways to counteract whatever the coroner finds in his investigation. It isn't just Eloise's husband who has a stake in this. The HLC, their bloodless experts who took over medical treatment advice, and the WT - all have an interest.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is heavy WT involvement in Mr. Dupuis' actions. Of course there is. There always has been. The coroner's investigation has the potential to, once again, put the WT and their bloodless crew in an unfavorable light. And the WT's Blood Team is using Mr. Dupuis' grief to mount a defense for their noblood ideology.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

The whole thing is disgusting. It also shows how much damage can be done to WT when these stories get the attention they deserve. In this case, it was a non-believing JW aunt who blew the whistle. Usually we don't hear about these cases due to privacy laws. The exception is when a JW minor is involved, and the doctor or hospital go to the court. The WT is hard at a work on a way to manage even these situations to keep them out of the news. Sickening the way they seek to control information.

• just fine
    just fine

I think that you are exactly right - JWs think that if a blood transfusion is needed it is the surgeons fault. And teaching people that non-blood alternatives are appropriate in every situation or is the same as blood. In my experience Dr.s don't go to a blood transfusion as treatment unless it is needed.

Its the misinformation and taking away of the choice to save your life that is criminal in my opinion. I hope there is a very public review of all of this.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    justfine: Its the misinformation and taking away of the choice to save your life that is criminal in my opinion.

Agree. Totally.

I hope there is a very public review of all of this.

I hope so too. But, my hope is tempered with the knowledge of how deeply entwined the WTS is within the medical system in Canada. The WTS has a long and friendly (or antagonistic, depending on the need to be or the location) relationship with the Canadian medical world.

Back in the 60s, it was Glen How's - the WT's Canadian legal beagle - diligent and relentless work in the legal arena that made the blood policy possible. He laid the legal groundwork for this current situation.

The bloodless network is well and firmly established in Canada. It is where it all began - Canada was the pilot ground for the HLC network. We shall see how this plays out. Big players playing big games. With people's lives.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

I wouldn't be surprised if he has been receiving "spiritual direction" from the WT's spiritual legal/medical team. They will be looking for ways to counteract whatever the coroner finds in his investigation. It isn't just Eloise's husband who has a stake in this. The HLC, their bloodless experts who took over medical treatment advice, and the WT - all have an interest.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5724718164344832/does-anyone-recognize-this-canadian-elder

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I am going to take a shot in the dark here and make a guess that the "independent expert" that is going to be consulted will be Dr. Mark Boyd from Montreal.

Remember him?

Dr. Mark Boyd was one of the "bloodless" doctors featured in the January 8, 2000 Awake! magazine - the issue where the WTS gives glowing reports and accolades to their friends in the bloodless world (and takes doctor quotes out of context - lots of cherry picking in that issue).

Here is Dr. Mark Boyd as he appeared in the Awake magazine. Rubbing shoulders with the infamous Dr. Joachim Boldt, the Great Pretender. Dr. Boyd is the second from right and the disgraced Boldt is the far left character:

Dr. Boyd was the expert witness into the 1992 death of a JW woman in British Columbia:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1491862/pdf/cmaj00310-0166.pdf

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Wow, hysterectomy to treat postpartum hemorrhaging I cannot believe a quack like that is allowed in a hospital. You never, ever perform a major surgery on a patient that's currently bleeding to death, primary options are to stop the bleeding and/or increase the blood volume.

It's like saying that you got a fuel leak in a car, let's just take the whole engine out and hope that's where the leak was.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Mr. Mous, I don't know where you get your information from, but there are situations where the definitive treatment for severe postpartum hemorrhage is a hysterectomy.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0315/p875.html

Significant blood loss from any cause requires standard maternal resuscitation measures (Figure 1). Blood loss of more than 1,000 mL requires quick action and an interdisciplinary team approach.54 Hysterectomy is the definitive treatment in women with severe, intractable hemorrhage.

And, when the patient is a JW, the decision to do a hysterectomy has a lower threshold than for those patients who will accept a blood transfusion. In other words, if you are a JW woman, a hysterectomy will be performed much earlier than if you would accept blood.

*and by the way, the links I provided are NOT from quack doctors

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit