Proof Buddhists Are Happiest Religion??

by metatron 16 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

The link is too long and impossible to post but at Yahoo News - Health there is an article taken from New Scientist

that analyses brain states during meditation. They might be able to measure happiness objectively, with appropriate sensors.

Are Buddhists the happiest people? Maybe! So far they look pretty good, emotionwise. The Dalai Lama always said

happiness is the purpose of life. I respect any religious leader that can say that.

metatron

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Meditation Shown to Light Up Brains of Buddhists

Wed May 21, 2:48 PM ET
    Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LONDON (Reuters) - Buddhists really are happy, calm and serene people -- at least according to their brain scans.

Reuters Photo

Using new scanning techniques, neuroscientists have discovered that certain areas of the brain light up constantly in Buddhists, which indicates positive emotions and good mood. This happens at times even when they are not meditating.

"We can now hypothesize with some confidence that those apparently happy, calm Buddhist souls one regularly comes across in places such as Dharamsala, India, really are happy," Professor Owen Flanagan, of Duke University in North Carolina, said Wednesday.

Dharamsala is the home base of exiled Tibetan leader the Dalai Lama.

The scanning studies by scientists at the University of Wisconsin at Madison showed activity in the left prefrontal lobes of experienced Buddhist practitioners. The area is linked to positive emotions, self-control and temperament.

Other research by Paul Ekman, of the University of California San Francisco Medical Center, suggests that meditation and mindfulness can tame the amygdala, an area of the brain which is the hub of fear memory.

Ekman discovered that experienced Buddhists were less likely to be shocked, flustered, surprised or as angry as other people.

Flanagan believes that if the findings of the studies can be confirmed they could be of major importance.

"The most reasonable hypothesis is that there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," Flanagan said in a report in New Scientist magazine.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well, happiness certainly does not depend upon one's religious affiliation though. Of course, if you ask me it doesn't depend on emotional state or mind states either, but that's another story..

• integ
    integ

Buddhists may be "happy" people because of their relationship with God. If one meditates and is able through practice to locate the source of Allness...Which one ultimately finds to be their own Self, it can only lead to positive results. It has nothing to do with the name of some religion. Non Buddhists can practice this as well, and find startling results. David Hawkins in "Power vs. Force" brings out that you probably would'nt recognize the people who have attained the peace that comes with what is referred to as enlightenment. They could be insurance agents, grocery clerks, cab drivers, etc. They seek no "glory" in the world. The stillness of divinity manifest in themselves is more than enough. It is not neccessary to shave your head and wear robes to reach God. God is there always in ALL of us. Even in JW's. It is just a matter of removing the layers of illusion that we are seperate from God. And embracing the Grace that is You. Just some thoughts.

Integ.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Do Buddhists have to conform to any edicts in order enjoy happiness and the prospect of an afterlife, except those which make them happy?

Spanner

• Valis
    Valis

Spanner...I lived with a buddist for some time, so I can tell you no....For them its all about the path to enlightenment, understanding thier 4 truths, which basically relate to how they see themselves and come to know who they are, i.e. enlightenment....the following links contain the meat of buddism explained in a fairly simple way here..

THE MAIN CONCEPTS
    The Four Noble Truths
    The Eightfold PathKarmaReincarnation

They may be happier, but within the sects of buddism it becomes much like other religions and they deal with the same human issues every other organized religion does when you have people worshipping together..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Thanks for the info, Valis, but I was being facetious! Buddhism appears to be the perfect and most-attractive relgion because you receive happiness, the prospect of an "afterlife" and a clear conscience, knowing that all you have done is that what makes you happy! What a cool religion!

Spanner

• Valis
    Valis

You can go to a temple or not...there is a buddhist temple close to me, where my ex went...most of the people go and listen to a band play, then they pray or meditate, and maybe listen to a guest speaker...plus they have really cool personal shrines..the gohanzen(?)...*LOL*

Sicnerely,

District Overbeer

• Gordy
    Gordy

Incidently they did the same test with a Roman Catholic nun, in Britain.

They got the same results as they did with the Buddhist.

Seems that when a person starts to think of spiritual side of life a certain area of the brain becomes active.

I wonder what readings you would get with a JW??

• acsot
    acsot
    I wonder what readings you would get with a JW??

Gordy: they'd think they were being taken over by them nasty demons. A couple of years ago we had a luncheon seminar here at work about relaxation techniques, managing workloads, reducing stress, etc. Near the end of the session the fellow has us close our eyes and practise deep breathing, relaxing our muscles, being in the "Now" as a way to reduce stress. I had no problem with it but goodness gracious me, the JW gal sitting next to me got totally stressed (ha, not exactly the effect the seminar leader was looking for) thinking she was going to be hypnotized and demonized and god knows what else! So, I don't think JWs would get very high readings! Probably minus 1,000 or something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit