Hi Everyone!

by iiz2cool 37 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Thank you for the warm welcome! (((((Aztec))))) I've been good for 20 years - it's time for a change! Rayzorblade, I hope to meet up with you again! And I see some others I recognize! Since I've been invited to tell you about myself I may as well get to it. I wasn't born a JW. I was raised as a Catholic and became a JW at 25. I dropped out of school after the tenth grade and pursued my main interests of sex, drugs, rock & roll, and bikes. Got into trouble, a short vacation behind bars, and I decided I needed to change the direction my life was taking. My mother, who had become a JW, somehow convinced me that JWs were the route to take. So I broke my engagement to my "worldly" girlfriend, severed all relationships with friends, and dove into it face first, and everything was fine, that is, until after I was baptized. I never fit in with anyone at the KH. Because of my former lifestyle I was always considered bad association right from day one. But I tried to do everything their way. I abandoned my trade as a machinist and started cleaning windows so I could pioneer, which I did for just over 2 years. I stopped because of a knee and back injury. I later injured my other knee in a slip and fall accident and required surgery on both knees. All this time, if I wasn't pioneering, I auxilairy pioneered fairly regularly and tried to progress in the congregation. That wasn't going to happen because I was considered rebellious - you know, for not obeying the elders when they told me to shave my mustache, sell my bike, stop wearing bright ties, and a dozen other trivial complaints they had. I married a pioneer sister as well. She was more or less raised as a JW, and was sexually abused by 3 brothers from the age of 4 to her early teens. Two of them went on to become elders. Although the elders and the society are aware of what happened, (we have a written admission and other correspondence from the org) nothing was ever done about it. So much for elders being appointed by holy spirit! Even though we had never done anything scripturally wrong, we were virtually ostracized in every congregation we were in. Because of the injuries I had, I thought it best to retrain, as the physical nature of the work I was doing caused these injuries to keep coming back. So I took a 9 month course in computer technology and networking, another course for MCSE and got myself into the IT field. I took some Cisco and network security courses as well. I now work as a Systems Administrator for the Ontario Legislative Assembley - Liberal Caucus. The brothers were always on my case about this. They don't seem to like it when people try to improve their lot in life by getting a bit of an education. I was even criticized for this from the platform. So over the years I developed a real problem with the influence these guys try to have in our personal lives. We had just moved in with my 81 year old father because he couldn't be alone any more. He died of a heart attack the same day we moved in. So I inheirited a house and a mortgage. Then I was always being hassled for being materialistic. Once when the PO was trying to counsel me about something I just had enough. I held out my bible to him and said, "If you have something to say you better say it from here - or keep your stupid yap shut. And you better learn your place." I threw out the book study we had in our basement. Have been inactive since January 2003. I was astonished when I saw the Fifth Estate on Jan. 29 this year. I didn't realize just how extensive the problem with child abuse was in the org. They interviewed a former elder who worked in the Georgetown Bethel legal department - he was partially in silhouette, but I recognized him and so did many others. I knew him well. I think he's been df'd since then, but I'm not sure. That's what prompted me to finally do some research on the internet and the society's own books, and from there you can guess the rest. I haven't been df'd or da'd yet, but it will come. I cannot be part of an organization that, by it's inaction, protects the abusers of women and children. My wife is aware of my position on this, but she's still hung up on the org, and anything can happen at this point. I would have da'd myself by now, except I'm waiting for my mother, who is 81 and ill with lymphoma, to pass on. She probably won't last out the year. This is only a brief summary of my experience in the org, but I think it's enough for now. Sorry to make this so long. Thank You for reading Walter

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Sorry about the (lack of) formatting. I'll have to get used to this. Walter

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Walter...Welcome

It's a pleasure to meet you.

Lisa

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

iiz2cool: your story is amazing.

I was initially so surprised to see you on this forum, but I'm so glad you made the trip here. Everytime someone posts their story or experience, you can be sure someone, somewhere can relate: whole-heartedly.

It's no secret that there are some battles ahead. I was so sad to read of your wife's previous abuse at the hands of congregational members. That program on Fifth Estate must have had your eyes bulging out of your head. I read 'only' the transcripts, but it was enough to make me shake my head.

Glad you are here, and I do hope to link up again with you next month.

Best to you, and I think you can tell, the welcome mat has been layed out for you.

Talk to you soon.

Rayzorblade

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome Walter....Thanks for your story-It was interesting NOT to long. I am so sorry that you to have suffered at the hands of the "Wolf in Sheeps clothing...".. I do hope your wife will see the light soon.
    As for songs about Walter. The only one I know is "Walter !Walter !lead me to the alter" Sounds like you have been there done that ( the alter of the false profit) Gracie Fields ( England) used to sing it...great to have you aboard I live in St Jacobs an hour from Toronto. Feel free to visit if your in this tourist town....Grace

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Hey there. Just wanted to post a belated welcome to the board from another Torontonian.

That Fifth Estate Program was something else!! That former Canadian Bethelite that was in silhouette was never df'ed to the best of my knowledge, at least he was never informed of it. It would be interesting to hear what congregation(s) it was announced in since he hasn't been in any Toronto congregations for over 5 years.

But if you knew him, you would also know he wouldn't have ever done such a show if it wasn't absolutely true. He was known as someone who loved families and kids. A little self righteous at times but aren't most bethelites? LOL You know he asked the Branch Coordinator several times to release the files to the Police but they blatantly refused. He felt it necessary to do the show to warn those in the congregations and to warn householders that pedophiles are doing door to door work across Canada. I am glad the show helped you to see the problem as it really exists. If the Witnesses ever were God's chosen people, by their fruits they have demonstrated they no longer have god's blessings.

I am pretty sure I knew you and your wife back when I was active. It is refreshing to see that others are breaking free from the strangle hold the Society has on our personal lives. But if you are who I think, it will take a lot to get your wife to see it. Her background (Quebec wasn't it?) and natural stubborn streak will be tough to break through.

I wish you well and perhaps we can meet up in the near future for a brew or a coffee.

All the best,

Uzzah

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

You've got us pegged for sure! Feel free to email me at [email protected] Walter

• riz
    riz

hiya walter!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit