WERE ANIMALS MEANT TO BE VEGGYS?

by uncle_onion 25 Replies latest jw friends

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

I would be very interested in any creationalists response to Genesis 1:30 where the Bible tells us that ALL animals wre originallly vegetarians.

Why aren't they Vegetarians now? What about Gnats who only live on Blood?

This to me brings up a lot of issues that can not be answered.

UO

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

LOL! You missed the post a couple of days ago where we discussed exactly how spiders trap straw in their webs !

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Everything is a veggy to Stephanus. Even his left foot is a veggy to him.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

A couple people around here seem to consider YOU a vegetable, Fred.

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• aChristian
    aChristian

Genesis 1:29 and 30 have been widely translated from their original Hebrew as follows:

29 Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food''; and it was so.

I am now in contact with a Hebrew scholar who tells me that he believes these verses are widely mistranslated. He says he believes they should be translated as follows:

29 Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and every beast of the earth and every bird of the sky and every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given you, just as every green plant, for food''; and it was so.

If his translation of these verses is correct, then Genesis 1:30 does not refer to the diet of animals at all, and in fact actually teaches that God created mankind as omnivores.

• terraly
    terraly

aChristian,
    What about when paradise (in whatever form) comes, and animals are supposed to stop eating each other and just be vegetarians? Is this purely symbolic in your interpretation then?

• aChristian
    aChristian

: What about when paradise (in whatever form) comes, and animals are supposed to stop eating each other and just be vegetarians? Is this purely symbolic in your interpretation then?

You mean the lion lying down with the lamb and eating straw like the ox, that sort of thing? Yes, I believe such language in scripture was most likely meant to be understood symbolically.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

This is probably just a nit-picky point, but any herbivore eating "straw" will very quickly die. Straw contains almost no nutrients either for lion or ox. Straw is frequently given to horses that are "easy keepers" just to keep them busy so that they don't feel neglected when the other horses receive hay and grain. It's something for them to chew on that provides no nutritional value.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

The problem with trying to present the idea that animals were not meat eaters prior to some recent time in history is POO!

There is a wonderful field of science called Paleo-scatology, the study of fossilized feaces. Unfortunately for the vegetarianists, the poo contains fossilized fur and bone. Studying poo tells a lot about the flesh/meat diet of long dead and sometimes extinct creatures.

Sorry to pooh pooh anyones belief otherwise.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Carmel
    Carmel

The moon is a flying saucer!

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit