My opinion about everything.

by notperfectyet 21 Replies latest jw friends

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

BTW, I forgot to mention:

I've thanked Simon and Angharad in the past for the time, effort and resources they put into this board, but I've forgotten to mention the moderators. It's been a while since I've posted here, so I don't recall the entire cast, but I did want to thank E-man for what I think is a fine job of moderation here. All of these folks are performing this service on a volunteer basis, and their service is unquestionably necessary for the continued growth and success of this forum. The moderators are human too; those who gnash their teeth about what they perceive as unfair treatment either overlook this fact or are too caught up in their own self-righteousness to comprehend it. The multitudes of threads on this subject serve only to distract all of us from the real issues discussed here. Let's move on!

• Jayson
    Jayson

OK for starters Minimus is not a troll. Is that wrong to say? He baits people yes but so maybe he trolls but many here do if they express an opinion ask a question or even respond. My personal take is he is in "elder mode." And I don't trust him. The problem with "feelings" is that the moderators are being babies. They want to call for an open forum but they are emotionally invested in their topics. Simon gets mad at the TV so he starts a thread to take out his frustration on us. He should have went to a politcal forum to vent first. Thats my opinion since he did also say to stay away from those kinds of threads and then starts one which he appologized for [starting]. All of this should be able to be hooked on this. And at some point let go of. I don't have a grudge and am sure as hell not bitter over. I accept that there are very different political views here. I have also read where he says that the JW sites are the worst of the worst and the new lable of children to those who are rebelling against the attitude here oh ya thats mature. Well as the saying goes people grow up. This will continue and you can deal with it. Lock threads and delete people but it is not going away. Nor are we. Maybe this it the end of JWD. I'm not worried though. Even if it is a new on will be born. I'll see many of you again.

• Valis
    Valis
    WHy should we spend hours of our night reading through past history and trying to piece things together when it may very well be impossible -

Simon...I don't think it is reasonable to expect mods to do such a thing, but perhaps you would agree that when the naughty words start flying there is many times a reason behind reasonable people going off...that isn't so hard to recognize IMO. I was alos thinking that if mods are going to be a part of a thread, they might not want to be the ones who decide to edit content ot lock said thread...it might at least seem more objective if they could justify or at least point out the need for moderation to one of thier colleagues, like in the case of Moe's thread yesterday......maybe that sounds crazy. As well, why not just institute a filter that edits words automatically you don't want used? The mods wouldn't have to worry about deleting selective words. Yes more work for you, but no more than dealing w/the flames I think...As far as npy is concerned, I think she just needed to get that off her chest man, and what if she really feels that way? Can you discount her feelings so easily and not think she is justified in any of what she said? I also happen to agree w/teejay about when people say "delete me I don't care", except that I think they really do fear such a thing for expressing thier heated opinion, because they really do want to be here and they don't know how else to say it...

BTW, you can call me by name...I don't mind...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Valis-

I guess that's what happens when people get more concerned over one word versus say a collection of words used to bait people into arguing or get them castigated by new users and old.

I don't think it's the one word that pisses people off. It the constant use of derogatory and downgrading words. Also, some people get away with this BS and others do not. (You're a moron btw)

-------------------------

I never tell other people how I think they should write and what I think they should say.

But we DO, just not directly. We are all guilty of this. The good thing is that most people know how to say "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong". When you can't say these words and always assume that you are right, therein lies another problem.

***These words are not meant to antagonize***

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

ROFLMAO @ Stinky's disclaimer at the end of her post.

Kansas District Overbeer

• Valis
    Valis

um Stinky...I'm sorry, but I ain't sayin "I'm sorry" to the likes of you...*LOL* BTW, I resemble that remark!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Moron" class

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon...I don't think it is reasonable to expect mods to do such a thing, but perhaps you would agree that when the naughty words start flying there is many times a reason behind reasonable people going off...that isn't so hard to recognize IMO.

Well, very often people start in the middle of an otherwise unreleated topic. Sometimes, it is hard to tell what it's about and frequently it's over nothing, such is the level of the intelectual debate.

I was alos thinking that if mods are going to be a part of a thread, they might not want to be the ones who decide to edit content ot lock said thread...it might at least seem more objective if they could justify or at least point out the need for moderation to one of thier colleagues, like in the case of Moe's thread yesterday......maybe that sounds crazy.

I'm sorry, but I dno't see why we should not be allowed to join in on topics that we want. Also, it would mean that if we did see something going on that we somehow weren't allowed to take action? This would be beurocratic and paralysing as would any suggestions to "form a committee" when something happens. WE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO. Of course, if we did discuss things then we would have accusations of "they are just like the elders". We already get that nonsense as it is.

As well, why not just institute a filter that edits words automatically you don't want used? The mods wouldn't have to worry about deleting selective words. Yes more work for you, but no more than dealing w/the flames

Word filtering is a complete and utter waste of time and effort and is easily circumvented.

I think...As far as npy is concerned, I think she just needed to get that off her chest man, and what if she really feels that way? Can you discount her feelings so easily and not think she is justified in any of what she said?

She is entitled to her opinion. I am surely equally entitled to have a different opinion aren't I?

I also happen to agree w/teejay about when people say "delete me I don't care", except that I think they really do fear such a thing for expressing thier heated opinion, because they really do want to be here and they don't know how else to say it...

No one has been deleted for expressing their opinions have they. I think these "I know I'll get deleted for saying this" comments are frankly insulting. It almost smacks of trying to make what they say sound more gandiose and important as though they are taking some big stand over something ... all they are doing is giving their 2c worth like everyone else. No big deal !

• Valis
    Valis
    all they are doing is giving their 2c worth like everyone else. No big deal !

agreed..

As far as the suggestion I made about mods, I should have made the distinction between a reality check before deleting content that might just be triggering an unintentional response versus normal moderation for language, trolling, etc..I don't think that would be unreasonable, albeit probably not practical...Just thinking..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• no one
    no one

Simon,

No one has been deleted

Whew!!! Thanks for re-instating me. I'm having enough trouble as it is making it out of the 'newbie' class.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Um,

I can recall arguing directly with Simon over the whole Iraq thing, and I didn't get deleted.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit