CBS's Hitler', Digging at the Roots of Evil (washingtonpost)

by sf 35 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    It's fairly clear the filmmakers want us to see similarities between then and now. When, in 1933, the Reichstag is burned, Hitler blames Dutch communists for the blaze (though Nazis themselves started it) and pointedly labels them "terrorists." Once he becomes chancellor, Hitler uses the threat of "terrorism" to justify the suspension of virtually all civil rights, including freedom of the press. With the populace frightened and vulnerable, the Nazis are able to perpetuate the idea that love of country equals love of Hitler, and that to criticize the Fuehrer in such perilous times is ipso facto unpatriotic.

Chilling words. No Clinton-bashers were ever accused of being unpatriotic. Unlike the situation with the current leader.

The executive produce of this miniseries was fired for some comments he made about the miniseries in an interview with TV guide. His comments were to the effect that Hitler rose to power in an age of fear and turmoil, and that he feels like the message of this series is especially timely considering the current environment. He was thoroughly roasted in the Rupert Murdoch press and subsequently fired. I guess being fearful of hyper-nationalism is "Anti-American" these days.

• jelly
    jelly

Maybe, or maybe some people just get pissed when someone compares bush to hitler. There is criticism and then there is just being a jerk. The two sides of this issue really shouldnt be to hard for people to see.

Terry

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Maybe, or maybe some people just get pissed when someone compares bush to hitler.

Which is something he never did in the interview, but of course the vitriolic Rupert Murdoch press was quick to read it into his comments.

• jelly
    jelly
    It's fairly clear the filmmakers want us to see similarities between then and now. When, in 1933, the Reichstag is burned, Hitler blames Dutch communists for the blaze (though Nazis themselves started it) and pointedly labels them "terrorists." Once he becomes chancellor, Hitler uses the threat of "terrorism" to justify the suspension of virtually all civil rights, including freedom of the press.

The implication is pretty clear. So while the man never said 'bush is hitler' his comparison is there.

Terry

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Did anyone watch the show last night?

• teejay
    teejay

I thought it interesting when, early in the program, Hitler blamed Germany's deep economic depression following WWII on "invaders." I don't know if the real Hitler ever said it but he could have.

The sentiment brought to mind a certain situation currently being played out wherein "invaders" are working hard to structure another country's government, economy, military, and religious wing. In certain areas, so long as they go along with the program, the countrymen are allowed to have a say in their own future. In most situations, not.

This place, IMO, is prime breeding ground for another "Hitler." If, in this place, one of the countrymen stood up and cried out against the invaders, he'd have a point.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Comparing Bush to Hitler is stretching reality to a point of severe irreverence. Historically, Roosevelt came closer to this concept than Bush has.

Speaking of comparisons, what struck me was the anti-Jewish propaganda Hitler espoused that some people today repeat almost word for word. Amazing.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

I don't think Bush should be compared to Hitler. The MO's are similar though.

Stan

• sf
    sf

Yes teeny, I watched it. I also watched 60 Minutes 35th Annivesary. Both were rivoting.

I found my-self at times feeling just a bit of compassion for him early on, yet began to see his hypocrisies. Such as hating 'The Reds' early on, then choosing red as The Color for his background on the Nazi flag, because, as it was revealed, red 'stood out' more than any other color. I can't remember excatly what his 'consultant' said in the hallway, yet it struck a cord in me as "what a hypocrite and plagerizer'. It pissed me off.

The other thing I kept re-viewing was the dates in time all these events were occuring. My great great grandfather was 'pure polish' and my father was in german military. He was blond/ light eyes, as I am. I was getting nervous feelings as I tried to imagine them living there, in 'those days'.

Rivoting "schtuff" to say the least.

Tomorrow night it concludes and promises to 'open eyes'. So I can't wait actually to see how 'It' got so out of control.

Oh, and the people fascinated me. All the people that Hitler 'spoke to'. I wonder if he ever spoke to MY father.

By the way, I owe my physical independance, fierce attitude and life really to Shriners. They truly do produce miracles.

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit