Mankind's Search For God

by rocketman 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• rocketman
    rocketman

Many of you no doubt remember when the Society released the book Mankind's Search for God. I had always figured that, since there were questions printed at the bottom of each page, the book would be studied at the Congregation Book Study. Till this day, it has not been studied, and in fact, besides a couple of placement campaigns, not much was ever really done with that book.

My guess is that, besides the first few and last few chapters, the book was discussing other religions, and I had wondered if maybe the GB had changed its mind and decided that study of other beliefs might not be such a great idea.

Also, another thought I had was that the average jw would have thought the book to be very uninteresting, since jws generally don't feel a need to discuss other beliefs. The problem with that theory is that the GB is hardly ever in tune with the feelings of the average jw, so I doubt they'd let that sway their decision on any matter.

Why do you suppose that book was never studied?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

That's the book my JW friend gave me when he tried to educate me about the truth convert me. The book was very vague about some religions and really didn't get into the what, wheres, whys, and hows of these faiths.

Devon

• blondie
    blondie

rocketman, I always wondered that myself. I would ask the elders if it would be studied next. One finally said that it was meant to be used with non-JWs and not studied at the book study.

I always wondered then, why the questions in the book?

Never got a straight answer. Very few JWs actually read it; not that many JWs actually read the study book for the book study.

Blondie

• patio34
    patio34

At the time it was released I enjoyed it. But then I was RUI (Reading Under the Influence). It was puzzling that it was never studied or even referred to much. I'm sure it would be very difficult to read now that we're not RUI.

Pat

• Mulan
    Mulan

One reason it may not have been studied is that it encourages people to not be afraid to scrutinize their religion, and its origins, (page 22 par. 8) and that some religions are a family tradition (page 8 par. 12). I have those marked just in case I ever needed it some day.

• Hamas
    Hamas

It was referred to by the irrepresable Ciro Aulicino, the bethelite that was guilty of the United Nations scam. In a recent-ish talk, he referred to this publication to try to portray the idea that maybe it is the ISLAMIC EMPIRE that is at the heart of Babylon the Great. Certainly, according to Ciro, this is the most AGGRESIVE part of Babylon the Great.

There is a map depicting the percentage of Religions around the world at the front. My personal opinion is that the Society was in serious danger of actually EDUCATING braindead lemmings for once, so they got quite afraid and scrapped the whole idea. Remember, it is dangerous to think idependantly!

http://www.escapethewatchtower.com/Is%20Watchtower%20truth.htm

• rocketman
    rocketman

Hey Hamas, thanks for the link.

Mulan, thanks for those references in the book. I still have the book, so I'll keep those pages marked.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Rocketman,

I'm sure I remember studying this book at the group, or maybe it was studied at at the service meeting?

• blondie
    blondie

The Search for God book has never been studied in the book study, ministry school, or service meeting. When it first came out in 1990 and for several years, JWs were encouraged to start Bible studies in the book with people of other religious backgrounds and then to move them in to the Paradise book. The book has always been used to bring people in that are Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, etc. While at first JWs were encouraged to study the book privately, there has been very little emphasis on using the book in the field ministry for the past 5 years.

Have there been any other books published by the WTS that have not been covered in the book study? I can't think of one which is why this is so strange.

Blondie

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I think they believe the book is a little too positive about other religions and raises too many uncomfortable questions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit