AUSTRALIA – Artemis Legal launches inquiry into group and class action lawsuits against Jehovah’s Witnesses

by jwleaks 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    I got the impression the "list" is a list of preferable law firms to work with.

That is what I interpreted it as too - when someone was telling everyone *not* to deal with a firm who "wasn't on the official list" it seemed like a simple and reasonable question to ask where people could find that official list.

Apparently not.

Now people are trying to twist it into "demanding proof" of something. It obviously wasn't. I simply asked for clarification. Again, what I sad was "Can you maybe explain that / refer us to some official notice?". Hardly demanding private information that umbertoecho is claiming.

For some reason, some people feel they can tell others not only what to do and what not to do but also what questions they are allowed to ask.

There sure is a lot of miscommunication on this thread. And misunderstandings. Stealth, you have not read the OP correctly or followed the thread.

Actually, I think it's umbertoecho that doesn't seem to have read things properly and is the only one having trouble understanding what has been said and asked.

On this thread, we have had the information from someone involved in giving testimony to the RC that there is still two more years of testimony, etc. to collect.

No, we have someone who is claiming to have given testimony who is now telling other people what they can and cannot do and who they can and cannot deal with, Anyone can make a claim or could be mistaken in something they say, I don't think blind belief in what someone says does anyone any good when we're dealing with such important issues. People would be better referring to what the RC says - guess what, just like I suggested !

Instead of flying off the handle and start demanding "proof" of an "official list of legal representatives" and all those things that confrontational people like to demand, why not use your head?

No one has done that. The only person flying off the handle was umbertoecho who said people were only allowed to deal with representatives on some official list - isn't it a reasonable question to ask where they can find such a list if they should stick to it? Really, a list of apparently authorized legal firms is *not* personal information.

If the RC, which has done such an excellent job so far, is still involved in the collection of personal information from victims, and is also giving assistance to those victims in their pursuit of civil litigation...what is a private firm doing soliciting for business at this stage in the game? The RC is not even finished and yet a law firm, without access to the private information that the RC has, is going to be the solution that everybody jumps on?

No, but any legal firm is free to offer to represent anyone for any reason whatsoever. Everyone has the right to decide what is in their own best interests. Aren't you saying the exact thing that you accuse others of - that people have to jump on the RC as the one and only solution?

I have no doubt that the RC has and is doing a fine job but that is orthogonal to someone dealing with any law firm they may decide to.

There also seems to be an assumption that the only people who may have a complaint will be dealing with the RC and anyone who isn't can't possibly have a valid interest in seeking justice for themselves through whatever means they decide to follow.

I am not advocating for any option, just stating what the facts are. No doubt this will also be misinterpreted and blown up into something it isn't.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

If a lawfirm claims they can represent victims as identified in the Royal Commission and are not on some "official" list, I assume the victims would know that. Yet still the law firm moves forward assertively in expectation of victims utilizing their services. There are many firms claiming they have the nod from the Royal Commission to represent victims. A quick Google search shows how many.

If these firms are claiming to be working under the umbrella of the RC, and they indeed are not on an "official" list, wouldn't the RC file cease and desist orders, preventing these firms from utilizing the RC entity in any way?

Here is just one example of one of these firms. http://www.kelsos.com.au/our-team/

• Simon
    Simon
    If these firms are claiming to be working under the umbrella of the RC, and they indeed are not on an "official" list, wouldn't the RC file cease and desist orders, preventing these firms from utilizing the RC entity in any way?

How / why? What law would they be breaking? What right would the RC have to do this?

I think if the RC wants to encourage people to only deal with certain companies then they should indeed have and publicize an official list of them that people can refer to and have a notice somewhere (and doesn't it seem reasonable if someone suggests this is the case to ask where we can find this list?).

If they don't then that, to me, seems to suggest that there isn't a list that people are limited to using and I think some are maybe getting confused with companies that may be actively working with the RC - a different concept.

• Dumplin
    Dumplin

please just ssshhhhhhh and think for a moment at this interaction escalating and what it led to, but not in the sense of how it started escalating or who started, but try and see the pain between the words and how it may be re-victimizing someone who is already in pain, perhaps suffering through an ordeal you cannot even grasp. Someone here is getting very hurt... i can see it and I know this for a fact, and no one really seems to care about anything or anyone beyond proving their point. I won't reply to anyone or say anything else, but i know where this is leading.

thank you

• Simon
    Simon

No one is being "re-victimized" here. I understand she may be hurt which is why I patiently clarified and explained the reality several times. In return I find I'm being accused of trying to request information about victims which I have most definitely not and is clearly not the case.

I don't buy into the idea that being a victim somehow gives people permission to say and do anything they want. I don't think most victims do either.

Giving people some allowance and consideration shouldn't be confused with a free pass.

• Listener
    Listener

I am absolutely amazed that there is some secret list of legal reps that the Commission recommend. Maybe it's a list that the RC provides to certain individuals where they can select from legal reps that the Commission is prepared to meet the cost of rather than having the individual pay.

That is fine umbertocho if you don't want to share it but there's no harm in asking.

• Simon
    Simon
    And no one has asked you to actually share any such list if it exists, just to point us to a reference or notice by the RC that people can go to for more information on how to determine whether any legal firm is officially sanctioned to represent people (if such a thing is indeed required).
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'm thinking this firm has the legal expertice to handle legal issues before the RC representing businesses that is all they said, they said nothing about being recommended by the RC. I'm sure the RC will stay away from giving any particular law firm a recommendation.

I think calling this law firm a deceptive charleton or some such thing is without a solid foundation. Non the less pick wisely and use due diligence in finding one that will put your interest in getting compensated first in mind.

• Listener
    Listener

Sorry Simon, in my above comment, I didn't mean to suggest that you asked umbertoecho's to share it, she seems to think that you did. There's already enough misunderstanding's on this thread.

One thing is clear, those involved in the Royal Commission are doing a lot to help victims.

• Simon
    Simon
    I think calling this law firm a deceptive charleton or some such thing is without a solid foundation.

Such a claim, if unfounded as I suspect it is, could also be actionable. You can't go round accusing companies of dishonesty without genuine reasons, especially legal firms.

Sorry Simon, in my above comment, I didn't mean to suggest that you asked umbertoecho's to share it, she seems to think that you did. There's already enough misunderstanding's on this thread.

No prob, you didn't, I was just keen to reiterate my position in-case anyone only read the last couple of pages and got the wrong impression.

One thing is clear, those involved in the Royal Commission are doing a lot to help victims.

:thumbsup: to that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit