Donnie Darko

by Huxley 23 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

nice little paradoxical flick.

got to discuss it with a friend and he was unimpressed because as he puts it: the end is a sci-fi cop-out in the fact that "the boy wakes up"...I said well the boy doesnt wake up but does die and that was the paradox part of it.

ahhh well....too early in the morning for deep stuff.....my brain hurts now

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Love Donnie Darko, good stuff.

ash

• dubla
    dubla

great, great, great movie.....completely loved it, instantly one of my favs. after the first viewing.

aa

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Saw it some time ago...purchased the film....now I am getting inspired to watch it again.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I show it to everyone I know, and they all get hooked, except for those people with small brains who can't handle a little subtext. "It's too complicated!" LOL

Me and my brother in law can talk about it for hours.....so very cool.

ash

• Preston
    Preston

Donnie Darko is an excellent acheivement...for a first film, and I give the director plenty of credit for it. I own a copy of Donnie Darko, and I thought it was well done in that respect, however, there was something on the subsurface that bothered me. This film kind of plays as the opposite of "It's a Wonderful Life", Instead of the main character being shown what life would be like if he had never lived, Donnie Darko shows how important life is for everyone else had he died.

Basically, he is shown his future had he not died, which leads to chaos, destruction, and disorder. His death is important, for by dying his potential girlfriend would have never died.

A beautiful, and morbid film....

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    and they all get hooked, except for those people with small brains who can't handle a little subtext

Thanks ashi. I HATED the film, so apparently that means I am stupid.

Yes the film was chock full of symbolism and theological questions. I will acknowledge that.

Alas, I just found it bloody boring, and the acting was TERRIBLE, ATROCIOUS, NAUSEATING (insert any relevant synonym here).

There are far superior films available that stimulate the intellect just as well.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    Thanks ashi. I HATED the film, so apparently that means I am stupid

Except for u. LOL Sry. No harm meant. Just thinking of my sister when I wrote that. Heh.

ash

• dubla
    dubla

this thread reminds me of another movie, pi faith in chaos.....anyone seen it?

aa

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

dubla----yes yes yes....that was a great film.....far superior to Donnie Darko IMHO (and I liked both)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit