Is this the earliest WT reference to 1975?

by Splash 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

All of these supposed set times or calculated (dates) by the WTS.showed conclusively that you can make these proclamations drawn out from the writings in the bible and make them useful tools toward the ending proliferation of literature .

You can even establish an organized sales organization trained upon those doctrines and these ones too will distribute those pertaining doctrines placed into literature for public consumption.

The WTS deceivingly self described this as preaching the Gospel unfortunately it was a tainted commercialized version of preaching the Gospel.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

GREAT CATCH! You are to be LAUDED!

I used to try to get some conversation going over the incontrovertible FACT that one of the books from the 1940s provided a "can you do the math" discussion which, if followed led directly to 1972 as the answer. No one seemed very interested in this topic.

Right now I can't recall the name of the book or the page this arithmetic exercise was on, but it should be somewhere in the archives here.

I agree that this is an important and noteworthy Watchtower quote.

A-HA! It was the 1943 book "The Truth Shall Set You Free" that had that challenging arithmetic exercise on

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It is interesting to me how often Watchtower "bible-based chronology" has had 100-year "patches" applied to it, as shown by this:

"In this chapter we present the Bible evidence which indicates that six thousand years from the creation of Adam were complete with A.D. 1872; and hence that, since A.D. 1872 are chronologically entered upon the seventh thousand or the Millennium." (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 33, 1889)

Watchtower Time Patches come in sizes of 40 years, 50 years, and 100 years, to name a few. Collect 'em all!

• TMS
    TMS

My Watchtower non-education is rapidly fading, but. . . . . "Aid to Bible Understanding" in the article on chronology mentioned 1974 as the likely end of 6,000 years of human history. I guess the authors missed the cardinal/ordinal year miscue. "All Scripture is Inspired of God and Beneficial," published in 1963, in its chapter on chronology mentions the difficulty of knowing how long Adam and Eve were in the Garden before procreating, thus starting the so-called 6,000 years.

Doesn't all this shit sound quaint, archaic and ludicrous now?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS shows that you can make spurious concocted bullshit objectively exploited from the bible and make it sell .

• kaik
    kaik
    Actually, the year 1975 was proposed way back by Russell prior his death. If I find his book Studies in the Scriptures, somewhere there he mention the year as a last limit when people who somehow survived Armageddon will have a chance to repent or parish. WT pushed 1975 around 1968. My parents started to study around that time and my mom was baptized for this big hype. My non-JW relative was always smearing this to my JW aunt that she was preaching that 1975 year was IT, the big day.
  • blondie
    blondie

PRE-1965 MENTIONS OF 6,000 YEARS AND 1,000 YEARS = 7,000 YEARS ETC

6,000 years of human history ended in 1873. (The Time Is At Hand, p.33)

6,000 years of human history ended in 1972. (The Truth Shall Make You Free, p. 152, 1943 edition) (after the WTS bumped their chronology up 100 years)

*** w65 6/15 p. 359 Will Peace Ever Come to Earth? ***

And since God made man a free moral agent, He would permit man this experiment, temporarily. Observe the results! Would you say that the human experience over the last 6,000 years has been a peaceful, happy, successful one? Of course not

*** w64 1/1 p. 4 Will Sincerity Alone Please God? ***

Back in the garden of Eden, some 6,000 years ago, the woman Eve thought she had a good idea. Someone had told her this: “God knows that in the very day of your eating from it [the tree in the middle of the garden] your eyes are bound to be opened and you are bound to be like God, knowing good and bad.”

*** w64 9/1 p. 522 par. 7 Strip Off the Old Personality if You Want to Live Forever ***

Parents have passed on to their children the imprint of nearly 6,000 years of sin and death

*** w61 6/15 p. 378 The Seventh Day—A Sabbath of Rest ***

The number seven is used frequently in the Bible and carries with it the thought of completeness. The Popular and Critical Bible Encyclopedia points out that the root for the Hebrew word for seven suggests “the idea of sufficiency, satisfaction, fullness, completeness, perfection, abundance.” Thus there being seven days of the creative week indicated completeness or perfection. Since the seventh creative day has proved to be thousands of years in length, nearly 6,000 years having elapsed since Adam’s creation, and since Bible prophecy proves that we are living in the time of the end of this wicked system of things immediately preceding the restful 1,000-year Kingdom reign of Christ, it is reasonable to conclude that this great rest day would be complete with 7,000 years. The 1,000-year reign of Christ would logically be included in this 7,000-year rest day of God. This means the seventh creative day is in itself a week of 1,000-year days. Because Jehovah’s name will be vindicated during this time and his purposes for the earth and for man completely fulfilled, the day is sacred. His blessing of it will be manifested in the 1,000-year reign of the Messiah.

*** w56 8/15 p. 498 par. 2 Maintaining Integrity ***

For Jehovah will wipe out all worldly nations in his impending war at Armageddon and thereby, at last, after waiting 6,000 years, vindicate his holy name. We gladly enter with him into fulfillment of his purpose, proclaiming his name and mighty deeds throughout the earth; and thus we can maintain integrity.—Rom. 10:13, NW.

*** w55 2/1 p. 95 Questions From Readers ***

According to Genesis 1:24-31 Adam was created during the last part of the sixth creative-day period of 7,000 years. Almost all independent chronologists assume incorrectly that, as soon as Adam was created, then began Jehovah’s seventh seven-thousand-year period of the creative week. Such then figure that from Adam’s creation, now thought to be the fall of 4025 B.C., why, six thousand years of God’s rest day would be ending in the fall of 1976. However, from our present chronology (which is admitted imperfect) at best the fall of the year 1976 would be the end of 6,000 years of human history for mankind, 6,000 years of man’s existence on the earth, not 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh seven-thousand-year period. Why not? Because Adam lived some time after his creation in the latter part of Jehovah’s sixth creative period, before the seventh period, Jehovah’s sabbath, began.

*** w52 11/1 p. 671 Questions From Readers ***

While the Scriptures definitely establish that Satan’s abyssing at Armageddon for a thousand years thereafter runs concurrently with the thousand-year reign of Christ, and that the loosing of Satan for the final test comes after the millennial reign is over and Christ turns the Kingdom government over to Jehovah God, we cannot say at this time whether this final testing will fall within the 7,000-year rest day of Jehovah or whether it will come right after its close. We shall have to wait and see when Armageddon ends and the millennial reign begins before we can be definite on where the final season of testing at the end of the millennium will come relative to the 7,000-year day. If Armageddon ends before we reach the 6,000-year mark in human existence, then the 1,000-year reign would also end before the 7,000-year rest day would, and the final test could occur within the 7,000-year day. But on this we cannot be definite, but must await Jehovah’s disclosing of our exact position in the stream of time before we can locate with any reliability the placement of the testing period with regard to the 7,000-year day.

• careful
    careful
    Thanks NN and blondie!
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Blondie ROCKS! ...and always has!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    Interesting!! The light getting darker and darker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit