Share your home remedies for congestion and earache...please?

by GrreatTeacher 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

The extraordinarily high pollen count has finally done me in. I started with head congestion and coughing on Friday and have steadily felt worse. I now have an earache and a heavy feeling in my chest.

Yes, I do have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow, as I'm sure the advice would be! But, I feel really yucky tonight.

Anybody have any good home remedies? The over the counter drugs don't seem to be doing much at this point.

I tried green tea with honey and lemon. Does anybody know anything else I can rustle up from my cupboards?

I just need to get through the night and then I'll see my doctor tomorrow.

With heavy chest and thumping ear,

GrreatTeacher

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Fill a sink with hot water and with a towel over your head, carefully breathe in the steam through your nose and mouth.

Advil or similar can help with the earache and an irritated throat that makes you cough.

Sometimes a cold compress on the ear can help if your earache is caused by inflammation.

Warm compress (or alternating warm and cold) across your eyes and the bridge of your nose can help with sinus congestion.

Be sure to go to the doctor....you may have the flu and Bronchitis like I had last month. Normal cold remedies wouldn't touch it....took over a week to get over it and a month to get rid of it completely. Worst thing about it was I was in Hawaii on vacation.

Feel Better !

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Ooh, sorry about your vacation!

The steam thing sounds good. Maybe I'll just go take a hot shower. That actually sounds really good.

It's a good point that it could be the flu. I work in the public schools and they're germ factories.

Thanks!

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    If you have a warm mist vaporizer use that to put moisture in the air, will help you breathe overnight. Stay hydrated, take ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the pain and try sleeping with your head elevated a little, like use two pillows. A hot shower is a good idea. If it is the flu you would most likely have body aches and a fever. Allergies are bad in some places right now. Last week my daughters flaired up, sounded like what you have except for the ear ache but she got laryngitis and still has a lingering hacking cough. Good thing you are seeing the doc tomorrow...he will probably tell you what we just did but our advice was free!😷
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks, Safe. I don't even usually have very bad allergies, but this year it seems like every night on TV they post another record pollen count.

No fever or body aches, but the heavy chest worries me. Sometimes I can't tell whether it's asthma or congestion.

I made a mistake last time I had these symptoms by taking Sudafed tablets when it was actually my asthma. And, then my heart rate was so fast that they couldn't give me a breathing treatment because that would've raised it to dangerous levels.

But, I'm not wheezing, so I'm going to let the doctor figure it out tomorrow. It's only a $20 copay, but, yes, I do appreciate the free advice, too!

I've already been doing double pillows, but they're getting flat, so maybe I should triple them.

• millie210
    millie210

Put some Vicks vapor rub on your feet. Put on thick socks and go to bed.

It helps!

Hugs to you Grrreat. Feel better!

• just fine
    just fine

Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, honey and water.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Eat some local honey, even here in NYC a lot of people do that, they buy some a farmer's markets, but it has to be locally harvested, don't know if that's an option for you but it helps.

I may be speaking too soon, but so far I've just had one bad day of what I would call allergy symptoms, usualyl in the morning I want to scratch my eyes out, accompanied by sneezing all day, so far just one day of moderate sneezing . . .knock on wood.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Get well soon!

• Listener
    Listener

Gt, do you have a high temperature?

You may have started with the flu/cold and it's gone straight to your chest and given you an infection, which includes your ear.

When you see the doctor, ask him if you could possibly have an infection and whilst you are there get him to fill you out a script for antibiotics just in case it becomes worse, even if he doesn't think you do have an infection it is good to have the script on hand so you can start taking them without having delays in setting up another appointment. I know they are hesitant in prescribing them but it can make a lot of difference if you can take them sooner rather than later so be firm in asking for the script just in case. Tell him you will only take them if necessary and get his advise on when you should do so.

Also ask him if an anti histamine might help.

The above advise is excellent, we also add Vicks to the steam water, it is much more effective than a hot shower.

If your breathing gets too difficult, go to emergency, quick treatment will help protect your lungs in the long term.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit