Does Jehovah Intervene - JW Teaching

by thedepressedsoul 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?
    Hey Paul from cleveland did you know that sicko kidnappers mother was a witness!
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

An elder once told me that Jah made a real estate fall through to guide him into an area where the need for elders was great. I asked him how God decides between acting in his real estate deal instead of saving faithful brothers from persecution, starvation and suffering to death? I told him I prayed for a dying friend and to find a job...and I got the job while my friend died...why did Jah answer the lesser important request? Blank stare...I guess his anti-apostate warning bell started ringing because he started avoiding me.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's called confirmation bias, the tendency to look for and accept information that confirms our belief. From Wikipedia:

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities

These people who think Jehovah gave them that extra five dollars for gas money to go out in service also no doubt had times when money didn't magically appear as needed, but they only remember the time it did, because it confirmed their belief.

• punkofnice
  • steve2
    steve2

Religious people live in a minefield of contradictory beliefs. On the one hand, God allows wickedness to continue but on the other, He steps in to provide help OR the brothers allow it "could" be the result of His hand. Hmmmmmmmm. How tantalizingly convenient.

All incredibly simple-minded and pitched at the level of children's stories - but tarted up with a respectable "scholarly" backing which barely disguises how silly it all is.

In a big, wide and frightening world of billions, God actually cares about ME. Incredibly juvenile.

Little wonder questions such as that posed by the thread continually arise.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

This "mysteries" are usually solved, in one way or another, by answering that we don't know why God does what he does, as many here have stated. What we forget, once those big lingering questions begin to pour in to our minds, is that we were once told, earlier in our indoctrination, the other faiths were false and insensible for teachings things like "we don't know why God allowed your child to die, but we do know he must have a plan for you"

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    The GB have been speaking out of both sides of their mouths on this subject for a long time. There was a WT that stated that - paraphrasing - "god doesn't do miracles today - but if someone thinks they were the recipient, let them think so." But just the other week we had the Do you see gods hand in your life, so of course the flock always thinks that they have had good intervene for them. Everyone thinks they are Job. I have always hated this thinking.
  • steve2
    steve2

We humans are incredibly prone to suggestibility.

Do you see God's hand in your life? The question is rich pickings for those craving the benefits of belief and seeking solace and consolation. We know this is the bread and butter of religions everywhere. Each individual believes their "God" is helping them, especially within the private realms of their hearts, and JWs are no exceptions. But in the rational light of inquiry, it all looks terribly self-serving and prone to wishful thinking, with no group exempt from that trap.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Actually, Janus is the most practical of gods. He always helps you to look both ways before crossing the street, thereby keeping pedestrian and auto accidents to a minimum!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I remember the young jw woman in Oregon that was kidnapped by a jw man and raped and killed. Where was Jehovah? All those people killed in that KH during that cyclone in the Philippines, where was Jehovah? Some guy gets a few bucks while going out in service for gas, Jehovah is great! Its called the god delusion and a lot of people have it.

Evidently(TM), Jah just turned up in Oregon a little late to save the young woman. Local JWs are on record giving credit to Jah for enabling them to find the body where it had been hidden. Praise Jah! Too bad he was not there in time to save her life from the JW who murdered her.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit