backhanded compliment to Sunday speaker

by road to nowhere 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

A couple years ago we had a speaker, better than average, give the talk. Since I was still pretty much a believer, I commented to him how I enjoyed the talk, and how it was "entertaining". It was, but he got mad as it was one of the beat the fear of god (governing body) into you talks. I wasn't doing anything of the things mentioned, so had no guilt; but he apparently wanted everyone to do a repentance and "march to the altar" or something

• steve2
    steve2

Wow - you liked it but for the wrong reasons!

• sir82
    sir82
    Yeah, I used to say things like "Wow, I can tell you really sincerely believe what you were talking about" whenever someone gave an utterly bombastic or inane talk. It kind-of sort-of sounds like a compliment but it doesn't really say much at all.
  • waton
    waton

i said once: that was a well rehearsed talk (CO), convincing delivery. he said "thank you" . i replied: "it is always good if such talent would be used in defense of the truth."

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    It was, but he got mad as it was one of the beat the fear of god (governing body) into you talks. I wasn't doing anything of the things mentioned, so had no guilt; but he apparently wanted everyone to do a repentance and "march to the altar" or something

Some people in general (and particularly those who are brainwashed or conditioned to feel the way they are told to) feel uncomfortable accepting a compliment. His reaction may be coming out of his own sense of inadequacy around getting credit for something instead of his Jehovah getting all the credit.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Brother Speaker: So how did you enjoy the talk?

jo1692: Mostly by sleeping through it. 😉

BS somewhat taken aback: Funny!

jp: Seriously though, there were some parts I enjoyed more than others.

BS feeling more confident: Oh yeah, what was your favorite part?

jp: The part when you quit talking! 😝

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

When you said he got mad, what did he say? Was he just a little upset or was he really ticked? How can someone get angry over something like that? Did he just say, "I'm glad you liked it, but I wasn't giving it to be entertaining." Or was it worse than that?

• zeb
    zeb

When faced with long talks and the wt I would do my pelvic exercises.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Having JW app on my phone alllows me to text and surf web

To sit and relax for a couple hours catching up on some internet reading, I actually quite enjoy it :)

• steve2
    steve2

I see others here have the same sense of humor as me. Wicked!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit