gavindlt

This was posted on JW Leaks.

My Truth's | Dad Seeking Truth

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I will say again: you cannot reform a kangaroo court run by biased idiots

• DisgruntledFool
    DisgruntledFool

Holy Shit! Did I read that right? 90 day disfellowshipping?

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

Where is the bit about 90 day?

what does it say exactly?

• DisgruntledFool
    DisgruntledFool

ElderBerry...it is under section 15:

"If the individual is not an apostate or actively promoting wrongdoing, they will also inform him that they would like to meet with him again in three months to determine if he has had a change of heart. In some cases, but not all, the committee may determine that there is a basis for reinstating the individual at that time."

Unfuckingbelievable!!!

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

Can someone post bullet points or the cliff notes version of the new changes? There is no way my eyes can read all that small print, plus it's a long document.

Thanks.

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

It sounds like they are doing everything they can to stop anyone ever getting df’ed.

wait 90 days and talk them into just saying they are repentant then almost zero df’ed from now on

also big push to get DF’ed to come back

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have read it a couple of times and I’m struggling to see what the change really is. There seems to be a message between the lines to disfellowship fewer people, say hello to them at the meetings, and to automatically reinstate people who are currently disfellowshipped but say they are repentant.

But at the end of the day they still say to disfellowship unrepentant people, including children. And saying hello to someone at the meeting is not much if you have to ignore them the rest of the time. I think many JWs already said a quick “hello” to disfellowshipped people and this was already allowed in fact. So is this actually a change at all? I’d like to find the earlier reference for saying hello, because I’m sure I remember that.

So what really has changed? They seem to be signalling change without putting much meat on the bones at all.

Reading these instructions, the take away would seem to be that the Governing Body don’t want elders to disfellowship people unless it is unavoidable. In a judicial committee the only thing that would get the person disfellowshipped is if they flat out say “I’m not sorry and I’m not going to stop” whatever it is they are doing. That’s very rarely what happens. More often the person says they’re sorry and they’ll stop and the elders say they don’t believe them for various reasons: usually repeat offences, only stopped when caught, was denounced by somebody else rather than handing themselves in.

The impression the new instructions creates is that if someone says they’re sorry then the elders should take them at their word. It is only an impression and they haven’t spelled this out in so many words, but otherwise it’s hard to understand what the fuss is about. If this is what they mean then they need to state it more clearly, because there will still be hardline elders who stick to the old procedures of not believing the person in the judicial committee, unless they are explicitly told otherwise.

If the so-called adjustment in dealing with minors is intended to appease Norway and other governments I think it may fall short, because they still leave disfellowshipping as an option, and that still apparently involves shunning apart from a brief greeting at the meeting. Even if that cuts down the number of cases drastically, any children at all getting shunned is too many. They need to either abolish disfellowshipping of minors or abolish shunning for minors who are disfellowshipped. Anything less, even being super reluctant to impose the sanction, or only doing so on rare occasions, is not good enough to address the basic point that shunning children is not acceptable.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"The impression the new instructions creates is that if someone says they’re sorry then the elders should take them at their word. It is only an impression and they haven’t spelled this out in so many words, but otherwise it’s hard to understand what the fuss is about. If this is what they mean then they need to state it more clearly, because there will still be hardline elders who stick to the old procedures of not believing the person in the judicial committee, unless they are explicitly told otherwise."

I think that that is the point. I said elsewhere that you can still be an arsehole, just try to look less like an arsehole (particularly when the world's governments are looking). It's ambiguous. It's something that they can point governments and courts to, but it hasn't materially affected much.

• EdLogan
    EdLogan

So let me get this straight...

They have softened (a little) the behavior against DF'ed but hardened towards who is DF'ed for "apostasy"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit