Money....

by The Rebel 35 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I believe all our worst nightmare are believing money will make our life's complete. I am not talking about money providing life's comforts, but I am mortified that contentment and happiness always requires " more Money"..ummm I need a window cleaner, a flashy car and a 50inch T.V screen to be happy.

Money...well in my opinion we need money integrity to be happy, but it seems such a waste of life to search for the making of money more than ....well what I mean "hey" most of us have more money than most, and would the making or having more money really make you happier?

The Rebel.

• Simon
    Simon

Studies have shown that above a certain amount (to make money not a worry) it doesn't really bring real happiness in itself. Of course it can bring nice things and experiences.

But if you pin happiness to "having more" then that's something you are never going to win.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks for the reply Simon, which I agree with. More intersting is how have you found happiness not pursuing money?For many of us it's time spent with our child ( at least that's my happiness) others become writers, painters, cooks, voluntary workers...anyway responses appreciated.

The Rebel.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Money does not equate to happiness - true. But I'll rather cry in a limo, private jet, or private yacht rather than on a bicycle! =)

Money does not equate to happiness, but it can help to alleviate the pain

Problem with JW's is, many of them are unhappy and DO NOT have money at the same time!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Happiness works like this.

It is something internal. You should be able to know yourself, be yourself, and be grateful and appreciative. This has nothing to do with people or things. its good to know your passions and purpose. Purpose is not necessarily some higher calling, but knowing what you like, what you are good at, and pursuing it.

Now money. Money, like people can enhance your happiness if you have the first part I mentioned above taken care of. There are a lot of miserable people pursuing money, but they have no passion and purpose. Lottery winners that think money will answer all their problems are suddenly filthy rich and buy a bunch of crap and realize its not making them happy, they have no purpose or passion. When people look to another person to make them happy, or money, its short lived.

In my mind its very simple to understand, sometimes harder to execute, but that is the reality. You have to learn how to be happy rich or poor. You have to have purpose in your life. I personally know filthy rich people on both sides, happy and not happy. Money has nothing to do it, its more what you expect of the money. If you expect it to make you happy that aint gonna happen.

This is very enlightening, give it a watch.

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy?language=en

Also read up on Maslov's hierarchy of needs.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    I do agree money does not necessary bring you happiness. But let me say that as a witness we were always discouraged from having nice things or would criticize you as being materialistic, you couldn't take a nice vacation because others would make you feel guilty and say "must be nice that you can afford it"? Really instead of pioneering get a real job. Having money allows for experiences you would otherwise never have, allows you opportunities you would never have encountered. We work hard and play hard, no guilt anymore and no obligation to a man made cult. Making money is a statement to my former congregation and a testament that you can have a awesome life outside of there cult.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have been rich and I have been poor (relatively speaking). In my opinion rich is better. Be sure not to confuse materialism with wealth.

Having an asset, such as a fancy car, does not create wealth. Just the opposite. The asset loses value and chances are the owner went into debt to buy the car. I consider the this as exact opposite of wealth creation and have no use for this behavior.

You might want to consider reading the book "The millionaire next door." There are a lot of wealthy people with no bling but living comfortable good lives.

• Divergent
    Divergent

MarkofCane

I do agree money does not necessary bring you happiness. But let me say that as a witness we were always discouraged from having nice things or would criticize you as being materialistic, you couldn't take a nice vacation because others would make you feel guilty and say "must be nice that you can afford it"?

Agreed. Congs are full of miserable people who are bitter, easily jealous, & envious. They don't like to see others being better off than them & can't stand to see other people being happy, enjoying themselves, & having a good time!

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Millionaire Matchmaker. If you have seen the T.V show, Women love money, men love sex..sorry the only true and brave way to be truthful is to NOT watch this crap. It's worse than the W.T....

The Rebel.

• DesirousOfChange

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit