A News Item from The Golden Age January 13, 1937

by Nathan Natas 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

A JW would be hard-pressed to say that was a respectful, non-pejorative reference to 'persons of color' in 1937. Wouldn't you love to know who the writer was?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I can't even make sense of it. What happened?

• Giordano
    Giordano

Nathan good find.

That paragraph was so dumb I lowered my IQ trying to make sense out of it.

1937..... a lot of boozing it up at Bethel in those days with Rutherford and his cronies.

• millie210
    millie210

Was darkies the common language term in use in the 1930s?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

What the??

• under the radar
    under the radar

I don't think "darky" was considered a pejorative at the time (several popular songs used the term), but the whole tone of the article is condescending. Many WT and Awake! articles of the time were. You know, the old "white man's burden" kind of thing.

Probably didn't raise too many eyebrows back then, but definitely cringe-worthy now. And this snippet is mild compared to some of the other crap they put out.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Compare it to Herd's wonderful (not) speech about the size of a woman's brain.

Or Morris' tight pants.

They are all cringe worthy, they have not changed since the 1930's maybe just their target.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

my favorite is the old quote that says something like 'negroes make the best house servants.'

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I get the impression "Father Divine" was a NYC-based attention-seeker. I'm finding more about him...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit