Comparing 1987 to 2017 --- cart witnessing

by pleaseresearch 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

Take a ride with me back to 1987. Picture yourself in your town, or city centre. Remember the clothes people wore, the hairstyles etc...

Now imagine yourself doing your ministry out on the street, engaging with people, speaking with them, striking up conversations. Now, how would you feel, and what would you say, if you noticed two people appear nearby with a cart. They begin to unpack and get it ready. You keep an eye on them as your talking to someone, showing them a scripture from your bible.

You notice they are Christians from a nearby church, promoting their literature. But they are just sat there on the bench. One is wearing sunglasses, they are both facing away from the cart, paying no interest in it whatsoever. How would you back then, and how would other witnesses have reacted to the cart and this couples attempt at preaching?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, good point!

Witnesses would have laughed and derided such people doing that!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

There would be a Watchtower article highlighting this event. The purpose of this article would be to show how pathetic Christendom is. It would also bring out the point that obviously they were not working with the Holy Spirit.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Mind blown. The changes in the organization are so subtle and gradual that we don't really notice them. But to juxtapose the two decades like you just did reveals how hypocritical the Society is. Watchtower IS the Christendom they loathe and wish to eviscerate.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

How would you back then, and how would other witnesses have reacted to the cart and this couples attempt at preaching?

Well, if it was me, in 1987 in was right in the middle of my fading, so since that year on I couldn't care less one way or another.

However, I still had the JW mindset in many things, so I would have been appalled if I saw that.

On the other hand, since I know that the WT is all nonsense, and I still can't care less about it, my position is "good for those JWs who have it easier now". At least they don't have to go through what some of us did.

• lancelink
    lancelink

pleaseresearch thank you for creating this scenario.

Yes it is true that they would have been ridiculed.

I remember being in Springfield Illinois during a district convention one year in the early 80's and this same situation happened.

It was a "bible group" and they were just sitting by a sidewalk giving away religious comic books that talked about the end of the world, and what we need to do in order to be saved by Jesus..

The witnesses I was with literally shredded them to pieces all weekend, making non stop fun of their method for sharing their beliefs.

And now look at the witnesses today.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Electronic donations at conventions and assembly's, in 1987 no one dare to think of it.

Saying the big A did not happen in 2017 would made you an apostate verdict!

G.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Actually in those days some bros and sisters would go to busy areas and just hold up the magazines waiting for people to pass by but the counsel was to try to talk to as many people as possible.

• Tech49
    Tech49

A long time ago, I knew a sister who took it upon herself to go to a local park (without anyone's "permission", without "applying" for the "PRIVILEGE"), spread out a blanket, and spread all sorts of literature out on it in a colorful fashion, and just wait for people to walk by and strike up a conversation. She was the "oddball" of the congregation, no one would hardly give her the time of day, she was NEVER interviewed or asked for experiences, regardless of her efforts. In talking to her, one had to admit that she always had great stories to tell, she was the kindest soul, and never would hurt a fly, very intelligent, and meant only the best for people. But the congregation and the elders paid ZERO attention to her, and kept her at arms length. I always wondered why??? She wasnt doing anything "wrong".

Now look where we are......

Another experience just popped into my head. Only about 10 years ago, we saw a group of some sort with a religious "booth" at the local county fair. SO much talk was made of those "CRAZY nutjobs", peddling their literature at the fair?!!! O...M....G....! How disgusting! Dont they know that the only way to imitate Jesus is to go DTD???

Lazy slackers!

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

It's the same with the name JW's. I remember my mum over 20 years ago speaking to an ex brother. I think hes now a born again Christian. When he referred to the witnesses as JW's well hahaha. My mum said "Frank, were not JW's were Jehovah's Witnesses."

Your JW's now and that is shocking that this is something she accepts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit