Do Orthodox Jews reject blood transfusions ? because of the scriptures, they strictly believe ?

by smiddy 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

This thought occured to me that Orthodox Jews take the Bible/Old Testament scriptures very seriously regarding the blood issue raised in scripture .

And this is certainly borne out in regard to the bleeding of animals before eating them ,Kosher food.

The Orthodox Jews are far more stricter than Jehovah`s Witnesses in this application / interpretation of scripture ,and I am curious as to how they interpret and understand these scriptures.

How do they view Blood transfusions in the medical world.?

And is it only the Orthodox Jews that are expected to only eat Kosher food ? how about the ordinary believing Jew with their religion.do they also only eat kosher food ? and how do they view blood transfusions,?

Just curious if anybody can help.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

According to Judaism, pikuach nepesh (life risk) overrides all (with some controversy) mitzvot except avodah zarah (commiting an act of idolatry.)

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikuach_nefesh

Biblical source[edit]
    The Torah, in Leviticus 18:5, states "You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the LORD."[2] The implication here is that Jews should live by Torah law rather than die because of it. Ezekiel 20:11 also states this phrase, "And I gave them my statutes, and showed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them."

Exemption: Non-kosher food

Exemption: Organ transplantation

I found that "pikuach nephesh" ! means "saving of life" or "protecting of life",, "ne'phesh" is the word that J.W. talk about when they say "ne'phesh" corresponds to the greek "psyche".

Google search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsP-l96cfQ

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

The jewish understanding is very important for us today. Why?

Not only is the rabbinic scholarliness proverbial and texts have always been discussed, but the jewish scholarship goes back to the 1st century A.D. Rabbinic judaism became after destruction of temple 70. AD mainstream jewish faith and overtook with 100% certainty the theology, rite and interpretation of those who were contemporaries of the jewish Apostels and Jesus.

After 70 A.D. and the destructio of the temple Jochanan ben Zakai founded the first rabbinic academy in Javne. the basis for his school was the pharasaic Halacha, a destintive pharasaic interpration of the law that put the emphasis on the doing. Over the time rabbinic judaism shaped jewish rite and theology. The apostels of Jesus and he himself were Jews. Apostel Paul an educated "academic" pharisee too. (I dont know one J.W. who was a Jew, a Jew is only someone who is actually circumsised, none else)

The Apostolic decree which stated "abstain from blood" was decided and pronounced for non-jewish christians out of deference for the jews in the congregation after the Jerusalem concile were a "rabbinic"-kind of discussion about how the laws could have been applied for this special situation happened. Arguments included tradition, exemptions as well as pharasian and sadducian standpoints.

With 100% certainty, the Jew-Apostels of Jesus interpreted the Law not much different from an orthodox Jew from today. Paul was certainly very liberal because he represented the same way which later should become the rabbinic judaism.

At the apostolic concile the exemptions were with certainty always in the back of their mind, a matter that was taken for granted.

This would mean that the principle which says that "SAVING LIFE" overrides most other laws was already known, taught and accepted by the antique Jews and by the Jewish Apostels who held the first apostolic concile as well.
    What would then the apostels have believed about exemptions from dietary laws?

They would have also certainly remembered the jewish "rabbi" Jesus, how he had handled exemptions of laws, like that about necessary work on sabbath.

Exemptions from dietary laws are necessary because the purpose and goal of the law is, that one would live by means of it.

You must keep my statutes and my judicial decisions; anyone who does so will live by means of them.+ I am Jehovah.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

According to (orthodox) Judaism, pikuach nefesh does not justify murder or suicide or putting one's life at a greater risk than the person who's life is at risk -to save the person. An orthodox jew is not allowed to enter inside a church or reformed synagogue even to save a life (that is to say,the place where worship takes place. A Jew may enter a room of a reformed synagogue not used for worship.) Chillul hashem (idolatry, blasphemy, etc.) is never allowed even to save one's own skin.

Only 2 Jewish movements survived 70 CE 1. Christianity: based on salvation from Jehovah 2. Pharisaic Jews: based on salvation from Caesar (We have no king but Caesar!) Circa 70* the Pharisees (Rabbi Yohanan) made a deal with Caesar and settled in Yavneh where they adapted laws to fit modern Judaism without beth hamikdash, installing themselves as leaders. Interstingly, dna studies of Ashkenazi jews today show y chromsome comes from a few hundred middle Eastern men from the fertile cresent ( jews ) that married non jewish females no doubt converting them first. Acccording to the studies most Ashkenazi jews are between 23 percent to about 53 percent European (non-Jew dna)

*70 years after the birth of Jesus 40 years after Jesus began his public ministry

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Already at the time of the Apostel there were different standpoints between Phariseen and Saduceen. That is important for us today? I think yes. "THINK HEBREW" (obviouly a messianic-jew site) quote about how different the pikuach nefesh was seen.

one of the biggest theological sticking points of the Pharisees was the rabbinical idea of Pikuach Nefesh, which is Hebrew and literally means “saving a life”. One thing that set the Pharisees apart from all others in their day was their high value of human life. To the Sadducees, humans were something to be ruled over and stepped on as they continued to live their Hellenized lifestyles of the rich. To the Zealots, humans were only valuable if they were strictly obeying God’s Torah, and if not, they were disposable. But to the Pharisees, humans were highly important because God made man in His image. That means all men are to be treated with dignity. Hillel (a famous and prominent Pharisee from the generation before Jesus) said you could divorce a woman for any reason (even burnt food!) so perhaps their standards of treating people with dignity could have used some work, but at the very least they believed all human lifewas sacred. The principle of Pikuach Nefesh demanded that you seek peace with everyone. Why? Because it is only through peace that we can avoid unnecessary bloodshed and bring God’s Kingdom.

Which school of Jews do you follow? Apostel Paul was a famous Pharisee.

P.S. messianic jews are circumsised jews who accept Jesus as Messiah.

Reflection on the Pharisees

https://thinkhebrew.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/reflections-on-the-pharisees/

____

Here is an orthodox jewish website

http://crazyjewishconvert.blogspot.co.at/2011/06/exceptions-to-pikuach-nefesh-saving.html

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

On the other hand, Jesus' lineage shown in the NT is directly from King David. Just imagine some modern day "Jewish" "Messiah" with European roots! compare "I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star" Rev 22:16

• TD
    TD

Smiddy

A few years ago, I took my best crack at explaining Judaism's approach to the Law --Not sure if it this will help or not

What The Law Says

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." Mat 5:17-19

According to Christianity, Jesus fulfilled the Law (as the choir knows.)

• TD
    TD

And in JW theology, he fulfilled it be keeping it perfectly.

--Which makes it all the more puzzling why so many JW's and xJW's seem to think he broke the Sabbath...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit