My New Fascination - Evolution!

by pale.emperor 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

One more reason i could never go back to the JWs.

And the beauty of it all is that if you decide not to believe in it anyway, no one is going to shun you.

• Moster
    Moster

Watched an interesting take the book of Genesis and creation vs evolution Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80186671

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

the beauty of it all is that if you decide not to believe in it anyway, no one is going to shun you - yes, very true.

When I was a student, my lecturer said to the class "you don't have to accept or believe in evolution, you just need to understand it and answer questions on it in the exam."

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I have never met a creationist who understood evolution. All of their polemics against the theory, even what you find in books by authors who should have first read some themselves, boil down to straw-man arguments. I sometimes suspect that these books are really just covert misinformation campaigns - something they succeed at very well - instead of genuine attempts to refute the theory of evolution.

The smart creationist concerns himself solely with with origin of life itself rather than the origin of species, as this is one of the few dark corners that science hasn't yet shed its light on.

• cofty
    cofty
    The smart creationist concerns himself solely with with origin of life itself rather than the origin of species, as this is one of the few dark corners that science hasn't yet shed its light on - RT

You might be surprised to learn just how much progress has been made in abiogenesis. Some really promising work being done by Nick Lane of UCL and others on bioenergetics.

Cofty, would you give me your take on these creationist arguments as put forward by bible nut Jack Chick in one of his tracts

Hi pale.emperor. I will take a look but to be honest he is one of the most ignorant creationists ever. Responding to his scatter-gun approach is like inviting somebody to smash up your house for 10 minutes and then accepting the challenge of fixing it all in the next 10 minutes.

If you spot a specific creationist argument you find challenging let us know and I promise to try to help.

• Laika
    Laika

Hi pale, I'm sure Cofty will have something useful to add but this is talk origins on the chick tract: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/bigdaddy.html

Talk origins and panda's thumb are good websites.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

When you wake up you realize you were really living on another planet and your reality wasn't even close to the real worlds reality. The stuff I now research and learn is plain fascinating!

• baker
    baker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qijfnf0p5V8

There,s proof everywhere of evolution

• Saename
    Saename

cofty, you said that there is a lot of progress going on in abiogenesis. Is there any book or article you would recommend which would provide a good summary of what is known by scientists about abiogenesis? I don't have time to read books/articles about each discovery separately, which is why I need a summary―sort of like the trade books that Ehrman writes. Unfortunately, I am pretty ignorant about abiogenesis, so that ought to be rectified at some point.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    Cofty: You might be surprised to learn just how much progress has been made in abiogenesis. Some really promising work being done by Nick Lane of UCL and others on bioenergetics.

I'll look them up. The concept of abiogenesis has fascinated me ever since I read of a Scottish scientist back in the late nineteenth century who claimed to have done it. Most people now think it was a hoax, as his experiments were never reproduced, but it the nonetheless sparked my interest. Creationists argue that there is no way something as complex as a cell could spontaneously assemble itself, yet Lynne Margulis' endosymbiotic hypothesis was proven beyond any doubt once mitochondrial DNA was discovered and compared with the DNA of modern bacteria. Cells did not spontaneously assemble themselves, nor were not created in their modern form by God, they evolved from simpler components, just multicellular organisms later evolved from them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit