The Last of Us

by Simon 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

Looking forward to the first episode of this new computer-game to TV-show adaptation that airs this Sunday.

It has Pedro Pascal from GoT and The Madalorian plus Bella Ramsey, also from GoT, who played the bad-ass lady Mormont.

Lots of it was filmed near us, some right round the corner (there's quite a few productions film around here, we get ice-cream near where they filmed scenes from Interstellar).

This show is a post-apocalyptic zombie series and early reviews are that it's awesome, so I'm hoping for good things, especially since Walking Dead jumped the shark a few seasons ago and we gave up on it.

Anyone else planning to watch?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Looks interesting, it's in my queue, whether I'll get to watch it with children and a backlog of other shows.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Great video game. Its an interesting premise for a tv show.

• Simon
    Simon

Pretty great first episode and the trailers for future episodes look action packed. Both the main characters were convincing in their roles and straight away you care about them, and are rooting for them - something that so many shows seem to miss or get wrong nowadays.

It's always weird seeing places on screen that you know - we've eaten several times in the old-fashioned looking diner that they run through near the beginning (with the red stools & booths). We spotted a few other places too, it's incredible the way they transform things and I guess the appeal of filming here is that the sparse population makes cordoning off an area for filming much easier and there is everything from big-city to small-town to mountains / forests and prairies, all within a few minutes drive.

• Simon
    Simon

Still fun seeing different places you know, in such a different setting - amazing how they are transformed.

Anyone else watching? Episode 3 was simply masterful story-telling and great performances. Very moving and pretty unusual to have the main characters not really feature in it at all for so much of it, and just come in at the end but it worked incredibly well.

I nearly missed the latest episode (stupid Superbowl!) which was another gut wrencher of a story, but also showed the threat of the infected / mutated. These are not the convenient-to-kill shufflers from The Walking Dead.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Simon:

Watching too. These days I'm looking for a decent story. I liked Episode 3. I know a few people that were ticked off by it being a gay couple, not because the story was bad, but just because anything like that seems as if it's forced into the script. But I have to say, I don't think they forced it. It wasn't the main focus. They put effort into the characters, not the politics. So, I was ok with it.

Episode 4 and 5- watched those too. Have you?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Watching? I'm obsessed!!!! I'm not a gamer (lol) I've played three games in my life with any regularity - pong, yes my brother and I had our very own game at home we played using the TV screen. Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega, I'd dash home from college to play :) and Assassin's Creed black flag (my son's game) as well as a few other games in the series I've gotten my son.

But the game I probably watched more gameplay of than any other (as my son played), was The Last Of Us. Loved it so couldn't wait for this show and boy it hasn't disappointed.

We got to watch episode 5 early (because of the Superbowl) here in Europe. What a belter!! I'd say it was a very close second favourite episode to episode 3's glorious Bill & Frank story.

• llubrevlis2000
    llubrevlis2000

I’m also loving this show

some interesting moral dilemmas

did Henry make the correct decision to kill the leader of the resistance to keep his brother alive?

and this is the big dilemma Joel has to make at the end but only those played the game will know

• Terry
    Terry

Extraordinary performances and storyline!
    Where oh where has there ever been such heartfelt humanity in a zombie script?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

IIuBrevlis2000 Yes, very thought provoking that question about Henry's choice! I mean she wasn't wrong, was she?

On the other hand, if we don't value the individual and instead always put the 'Greater Good' (her brother, the saintly leader in this case) above all else, we end up with a regime like the Jehovah's Witnesses - where the individual's needs & family bonds count for nothing!

Terry Where oh where has there ever been such heartfelt humanity in a zombie script?

Have you ever seen "Train to Busan" Terry? Bloody good film.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit