Secretary (2002) - a film David Lynch could've made, lol

by LoveUniHateExams 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Has anybody seen Secretary (2002), starring Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader?

It's kinda weird and surreal, like something David Lynch could have made. Also, the film was scored by long-time Lynch collaborator Angelo Badalamenti.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is Lee Holloway, a woman who gets a job as a secretary in Mr. E. Edward Grey's (played by James Spader) law firm.

It's strange and off-beat, and some scenes feature sadomasochism (- WTF?!), because Mr. Grey has a very different way of dealing with Lee Holloway's spelling errors and other mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeFi7WMrGLY

In a world of bland, cookie-cutter movies which rely too much on special effects, this film, written by Erin Cressida Wilson and directed by Steven Shainberg, could be an interesting alternative.

Thoughts?

• Simon
    Simon

Sounds artsy.

So no super-heroes then?

Can't see how anything without super-powers can succeed nowadays ...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So no super-heroes then? - er, no, no super heroes in this film, lol.

It's just kinda weird. It's not 100% serious but not 100% comedy.

The best way I can describe it is saying it's a film David Lynch could have done - completely surreal.

I so want to describe a particular scene and a one-liner that made me laugh my socks off, but the scene in question actually is worse than the sadomasochistic spanking that occurs in a previous scene.

I ain't saying nothing, lol

• Simon
    Simon

Sounds like 50 Shades of Grey? That was unwatchable ...

We watched "Coherence" a few weeks ago. That's a low-budget movie but it was INCREDIBLE!

I'm not going to give any spoilers, but it was a kind of down-to-earth / real life environment, but sci-fi. Very thought provoking.

I love movies where I'm still thinking through implications and "what ifs" days later.

Don't get me started on "Primer" ... that messes with your head, and warning: do NOT watch it with someone who doesn't pay attention to a movie and is prone to asking you "what's happening" or "who's he?"

It may even help to watch the explainer before the movie ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzy-xPf0MI

• pixel
    pixel

Simon, I LOVE Coherence! Did someone recommended it to you? Or you just watch it just because?

• Angharad
    Angharad
    Don't get me started on "Primer" ... that messes with your head, and warning: do NOT watch it with someone who doesn't pay attention to a movie and is prone to asking you "what's happening" or "who's he?"

Yes those people are so annoying

• Simon
    Simon

Breaking news: Woman discovers movie plot will be revealed if she just watches it.

• Angharad
    Angharad
    Breaking news: Woman discovers movie plot will be revealed if she just watches it.

Unless it is Primer

• Simon
    Simon
    Did someone recommended it to you? Or you just watch it just because?

Just because. I like quirky low-budget movies that are well done. That was low budget but 1,000x better than many big budget productions. Fantastic imagination and creative writing.

Reminded me a little of "Time Lapse" in atmosphere and how it made you question things (not in plot at all). In that one, a group discovers a camera pointing at their window that takes pictures from 24 hours into the future.

Unless it is Primer

Touche.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Good witnesses don't watch those movies. Have you seen the Betty Paige story? 🤐

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit