Interested in a refresher about the anointed

by frozen2018 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

I've had very little to do with jw's since the early 1990's. However, I do try to stay a little informed on what they are up to as I have several close relatives who are devout. I rely on this site to keep me updated.

Over the weekend I learned that a couple of my relatives, a father and son, have decided that they are anointed and had some bread and wine at the last memorial. How often does this happen? I thought the anointed class was closed. Is that just an incorrect memory or has doctrine change?

I can't say that I knew a lot of people claiming to be anointed back in the day. What I do remember about the few I knew of is that they were old and a bit whacky. They did know their bibles though. I'm sure the ones I was aware of are long dead by now.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Its a slippery topic. Yes they officially teach the door closed in 1931 or 1935. But they did that years before, so now that so much time has lapsed they feel the need to explain the presence of people (including themselves) who claim to be "anointed". The clever convenient answer is that they are "'replacements" for anointed who were unfaithful. This negates any actual cutoff while at the same time minimizes the potential for large numbers of new converts claiming to be anointed and potentially becoming influencers.

11. God having a fixed time for every purpose (Ecclesiastes 3:1), his time to give creatures on earth the opportunity to get in line for a heavenly reward has been from A. D. 29 until, chiefly, 1931, called the "day of salvation. (Let God Be True, 1946 WTB&TS p. 298)

WT 1999 2/1 page 19

"No More Additions!"

At a Gilead graduation in 1970, Frederick Franz, then vice-president of the Watch Tower Society, told the students of the possibility that they, who were all of the other sheep with earthly hopes, might baptize someone who might claim to be of the anointed remnant. Could this happen? Well, he explained that John the Baptist was of the other sheep, and he baptized Jesus and some of the apostles. Then he went on to ask whether there still was a call for gathering in more of the remnant. "No, no more additions!" he said. "That call ended way back there in 1931-35! There are no more additions. Who, then, are the few newly associated ones who are partaking of the Memorial emblems? If they are of the remnant, they are replacements! They are, not additions to the ranks of the anointed, but replacements for those who may have fallen away."

They have often repeated the basic thought but with just enough wiggle room to explain their own existence. See thread:

Any PUBLICATION say that heavens doors were closed in 1935 ???

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

The replacements dogma explains a relative few, but more recently the thousands that have been added in recent years are explained as mentally or emotionally disturbed. I don't have a link, but it was in Questions From Readers.

• waton
    waton

refresher?--well imagine how many unfaithful ones there were, with all the thousands of replacements. and

By making the whole end time generation one of anointed ones only, and then have them overlap, wt added another layer of hilarity to the scramble for universal rulership.

Actually Rev 7 speaks of sealed, 144 000, not anointed ones. Further,

Jesus said the generation would not die, but wt says the anointed generation will die (they have to to go to heaven)

So, by being right wt is actually totally wrong.

all this handwringing about the sealing, the anointing, the partaker count is actually futile, The sealing is done by angels and they are not telling who is or not. so:

be refreshed, relax. get on with your life. it i is worth it.

• alanv
    alanv

If memory serves me right, the 1935 date has gone. They said something like they cant put a date on it. They still say some have replacements, but also say some who partake of the bread and wine, may have mental problems lol

• blondie
    blondie

You might check this timeline of changes regarding the faithful and discreet slave WTS doctrine:

https://jwfacts.com/watchtower/faithful-discreet-slave.php

• waton
    waton

Wt says Jws are "true Christians" that means translated tue anointed ones.so: all should be in communion by partaking with Christ the anointed. In John 6 "Jesus " said to get everlasting life you have to partake,

How do jws expect to get everlasting life if they do not partake?

wt said that the "anointed have to sacrifice their right to everlasting life on Earth, (that they have by virtue of partaking) --- to go to haven. just as "Jesus" who sacrificed that perfect second Adamic right, gave up the earthly right,-- to buy the better one, for him and all.

Not endorsing, just putting it all together.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

dont worry about it--the watchtower cult will get new new light about it--the 144,000 will be a symbolic number--like the 12,000 virgin men from each of the 12 tribes of israel.....

• Earnest
    Earnest

The May 1, 2007 issue of The Watchtower addressed the question When does the calling of Christians to a heavenly hope cease?

It explained why it was thought that the call ended in 1931 and why that was a misunderstanding of a parable. It concludes:

Thus, it appears that we cannot set a specific date for when the calling of Christians to the heavenly hope ends.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

frozen2018

I have heard of this with a few that I knew. My belief is that they are hedging there bets .They don`t see anytime soon while they are alive of Armageddon arriving before they die .

( They are not that stupid that they don`t know the G.B. have got things wrong before )

So to give themselves a second chance without having to wait for the resurrection ,they partake of the wine and the emblems at the memorial believing and hope / they will get an instant resurrection at their death.

And that I believe is why those claiming to be of the anointed has risen so sharply over the past few years instead of going down as predicted by the GB/WT /JW`s a few years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit