U.K. Article: Blood transfusion refusals – why new guidelines aren’t up to scratch

by AndersonsInfo 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

blondie: OC: Still haven't read the links have you?

haha - a rhetorical question because we already know the answer

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Blondie: OC: Still haven't read the links have you?
    darkspliver: haha - a rhetorical question because we already know the answer

I have read those links.

And I have read many more just like them. I am familiar with Christian Scientist cases and with their teachings concerning medical care.

Both of you have missed my point completely.

*darkspliver...you are being an ass

• blondie
    blondie

Still didn't read all of them....many non-CS religious groups mentioned.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

blondie: Still didn't read all of them....many non-CS religious groups mentioned.

I'm just gonna ignore OC from now, should have sooner, just don't like banging my head against a brick wall

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6209392405905408/_post/6104543127404544

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Blondie, please do not call me a liar. That isn't nice.

I READ THE LINKS.

A religious group that forbids ALL medical treatment is NOT the same as a religious group that specifically forbids blood transfusions for their patients.

A religious group that forbids ALL medical treatment cannot be included in a discussion concerning PATIENTS who refuse blood transfusions.

That religious group does not have patients - they don't seek out medical care so their refusal of medical treatment is a moot point when it comes to blood transfusions. And as far as the lengthy list you posted concerning minor children...it is STILL a moot point.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

I can see a number of problems with these guidelines. There is certainly much useful information, but some serious deficiencies as well. While much can be said in terms of the benefits of respecting personal belief, and cooperating with individuals in their exercise of their beliefs; the level of cooperation that is readily apparent between Watchtower officials and the authors of these guidelines is deeply troubling. Asking someone to reject certain types of blood transfusions (and permit many others) is a very serious matter. Thousands of lives hang in the balance.

Medical ethicists and AJWRB (ajwrb.org) have for nearly two decades shed light on the level of coercion, duress and undue influence imposed by Watchtower on members to enforce compliance. The notion that a JW (particularly one raised in the religion) possess the capacity to make a free and informed choice is inconceivable to anyone who is fully informed.

WT officials continue to expand their influence in the medical community to try and mainstream their irrational views on the use of blood products. As the larger story becomes fully known, they are likely to regret their efforts at accommodation.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Lee Elder, do you truly believe that these doctors and researchers, are being unduly influenced by Watchtower?

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

The undue influence is more related to the Watchtower and its members. With respects to the medical community, its more complex, but still problematic and troubling imo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit