Why not help 'the friends' with the wealth?

by neat blue dog 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

In the New Testament, when funds were collected, they were distributed to all, NOT hoarded at HQ (not that there was an HQ). Of course now they're fraudulently taking credit for the government's free food program, but what about other things, unlike disaster relief, that don't get them publicity and credit? For instance, the latest JWdotORG article about Azerbaijan says this:

One brother was repeatedly convicted and fined, eventually paying a total of . . . $11,375 . . .
    Some brothers and sisters were even arrested because they could not pay the exorbitant fines.

Why not get them out of jail, or help all the others who've been paying fines? They could probably do it all out of the interest they make alone, instead of all the excessive and extravagant furnishings and electronics that they've deemed 'necessary'?

• Biahi
    Biahi

Because, the money only flows “one way” in Watchtowerland.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There was a recent thing at the meeting where they asked, “what do we do if a brother or sister needs money for essentials? Is it right to give them money?”

The answer seemed to be that if brothers or sisters are in dire need then there is a provision within the organisation that allows the congregation to give modest financial support to a member in extreme difficulty. Therefore, it was claimed, there is no need for brothers and sisters to support each other financially, and they should contribute to the congregation and the organisation instead.

I have never heard of anyone being given money from congregation funds ever. Has anyone ever heard of a congregation giving a member money to help them out? The main effect of the instruction would seem to be to discourage JWs from helping each other financially.

Plus any who take the claim that congregation funds will be used to help genuine need may reasonably conclude that, if a person doesn’t receive money from the congregation in a difficult situation, then logically they couldn’t really have needed the help, or else they weren’t worthy to receive it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They wonder why I recommend, strongly, that no one should ever give the washtowel even a penny. If you see someone in need and want to help them, do it directly instead of through the congregation or the washtowel. And "in need" does not mean helping so they will have money to donate to the washtowel, either. It means someone that needs the money to pay for food, rent or mortgage, or other necessities. It doesn't hurt to give the individual the food or pay part or all of the rent or mortgage in arrears directly, while helping this person to find work so they will not continue having such need.

Not to mention, money given to the washtowel is out of your hands. The person you wanted to help probably won't see a penny of it. Instead, it will go out of town to someone that doesn't need it at all, someone that doesn't deserve it, or directly to the corporation leaders so they can help with the global enslavement program. Money that goes toward printing more of those filthy bibles or distributing them is polluting our earth, making it that much easier for us to end up enslaved, cut off from outside help, and even cut off totally from science. Not to mention having mandatory coronavirus shots AND continuing to have to wear those masks forever.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I gotta love the way you go from one topic to the next WTWizard don't ever change lol

• waton
    waton

the money goes to buying more real estate they dont know why they are buying it, as the sheepishly / boastingly admitted in this week's video about the warwick annex for film production.

watchtower properties up and down the Hudson valley. The same pattern in Patterson.

• Funky
    Funky
    if brothers or sisters are in dire need then there is a provision within the organisation that allows the
    congregation to give modest financial support to a member in extreme difficulty.

IF

IF IF IF IF IF

IF the "member in extreme difficulty" is "exemplary", and "has many many many years of faithful service" and has no (as in absolutely 0) family members who can help out and no government-sponsored sources of relief are available and there is not even one member of the congregation able to provide financial support and the member actually, you know, needs to eat in order to survive....

THEN, perhaps, congregation funds could be used to buy some tuna fish and peanut butter (generic, 30% discount because the expiration date is tomorrow).

• 08out
    08out

When I was an elder we had a sister that asked for some money for rent,the po at the time turned her to government programs,had no intention of helping,but instead had Satan help her ,that was another wake up call in my leaving

• 08out
    08out
    I don't know of any time the loving congregation ever helped anyone
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

08OUT:

When I was in the JW religion years back there was a ‘mixed message’ that people would be ‘helped’ or ‘taken care of’. But, I never once heard of anybody being directly helped by the religion itself.

Their answer to this problem was to go around discreetly targeting certain individuals with an envelope asking for money..Years ago I was approached and gave a little. The elder told me it was for a certain lady. I didn’t mind because she was a friend and a hardworking woman (not a leech). He came back at the next meeting saying she didn’t need the $ and wanted to give it back. I told him to put it in the contribution box.

The point I’m making is that it is unreasonable for anybody to think the people in the congregation are going to pay anybody’s major bills!..I could see maybe a bag of groceries.

This also doesn’t take into account somebody (like myself) who was criticized or shunned for having a full time job..This is why I am GLAD to not be in the religion now..This is what it has been reduced to: targeting people left and right for $$.

Never mind the Covid crisis making people needy!..The JWs were in trouble BEFORE this because of preaching against careers and having too many people at Retirement age without preparation!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit