"Do not make for yourself an image of God ..."

by stuckinarut2 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

A thought struck me regarding the Biblical directive found in a few places including Exodus 20:4

"Do not make a likeness of God in the form of any creature that is on the earth or heavens "

It would seem disrespectful to use "dirty" creatures to describe perfect beings?

So, if it is wrong for "God or "Divine Beings" to be made out to look like mere earthly creatures, WHY do books like Ezekial have beings like the "living creatures with 4 faces" presented to readers?

Why are mere earthly animals used to describe "Perfect Heavenly beings"?

It seems contradictory right?

• Jidders
    Jidders

I think it's less contradictory and more of one was a law to not make new Gods/represent God through a craft image or a mortal creature whereas the appearance of angels and heavenly beings is comprehension of what goes beyond mortal existence. Afterall YHWH didn't even want stones to be carved to make his altars, just use natrual stone, to prevent the possibility of it and to keep the natrual purity of the stone, I imagine it goes. Then again the copper altar also had horns like the bull and angels typically took on animal appearances like the Lions head in the wheels, but again this could be interpretive writing.

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

What the bible contradictory? NO F-ING WAY!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

We all make images in our imagination, and if we think there may be a god, we'd make a mental image of it.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

"In the beginning" ----man created GOD" and how GOD looks!

just saying!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Genesis : " Let us make man in our image according to our likeness" isnt that self explanatory ,their are many GODS and they all look like us .

• zeb
    zeb

well, what is this blue org. thing isnt that an image?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It was also pointed out to me by one of our forum members that the very Ark of the Covenant had carved images of angelic creatures on it!

This is in direct contradiction of the very same Mosaic law that the ark itself carried!

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Regarding the Ark of the Covenant, no one worshipped it nor bowed down to it. Only the high priest entered the most holy once a year. Hence that in itself doesn't contradict the second commandment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit