Advertising and the Melbourne International Convention

by Listener 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Listener
    Listener

They keep confirming that religion is big business.

The Melbourne International Convention is this weekend and I wish all the best to the activists who will be present.

I came across this website set up for JWs in attendence with comprehensive guides and information. It's obvious that it has been created by the JWs since they write this under the rooming tab

We are all now free to book accommodation using the Recommended Lodging List (RLL) which is provided on the ROOMING WEBSITE!

It's incredible to see the amount of advertising and promotions on one particular page

https://2019mic.org/things-to-do/

Promotions include

- discounts to the Legoland Discovery Centre,

discounts to various restaurants in Collins Street,

- encouraging delegates to take a tour of the Exhibition Hall

- 25% discount on the Eureka Tower

- a discount on the Melbourne Observation Wheel

- 20% off on an Ultimate Food Tour at the Market

and the offers roll on

It's not a new thing that the Organization has promoted the Cities where they are holding a Convention but blatant advertising with discount offers is new. Do they think that because it's not on their official website or not in a publication, that it makes a difference?

Could you imagine Jesus arranging discounts to various attractions when he held his Sermon on the Mount and handing out these offers?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Well lets face it, Jesus did turn water into wine , at a marriage feast ,and Jesus also fed more than five thousand with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fishes and there was 12 baskets of food left over ? Matt.14:19

So maybe the G.B.thought we can`t match that but this is the best we can do .

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

This promotion is just a big con to the Melbourne Business Sector ,as In my experience Jehovah`s Witnesses are not big money spenders at the best of times.

And I think its been brought out before in the past how disappointed business has been expecting big things with a JW convention in town ,and its never reached expectations.

I remember attending the 1963 International Convention at the Melbourne Showgrounds ,where hardly any International delegates even turned up ,so I will be interested to see how they fare this time.

Good luck to all of the ex JW`s protesting at this convention ,I`m with you in spirit. {Even if it is a Jack Daniels }

• Half banana
    Half banana

It's all part of the religious showground. Remember folks IT'S A SNARE AND A RACKET!

We offer everlasting life in Paradise-- and fun rides for the kiddies. . .

• Pants of Righteousness
    Pants of Righteousness

So … they include the Melbourne Museum as one of the city's attractions, and also make reference to Indigenous culture.

Their wonderfully diverse culture includes this:

https://museumsvictoria.com.au/bunjilaka/about-us/creation-stories/

A tradition 60,000 years old. As stated by a museum on their recommended visiting list.

Seriously, Better to do the MCG tour.

• Zilgee
    Zilgee

With no higher education and high paying jobs, how do they manage to come for international convention?

• Magnum
    Magnum

I know we've said it many times on this site, but I've just got to say it again. This religion is so different now. Back when I was at my peak as a zealous JW in the 80's & 90's, the conventions were not to be viewed as vacations, but as "spiritual" occasions. For example, we were supposed to review the program each day after its conclusion.

Now, the org is almost promoting the conventions as vacations. They're actually advertising site-seeing, etc. The org has "jumped the shark". Its ability to acquire and keep members with end of the world fearmongering is over, so it's trying to be more mainstream. It is now trying to adapt and survive.

The seriousness and boldness and (seeming) dignity of the old JWdom is one of the main things that attracted me to it. That is all gone now.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A grumpy old cynic like me had my doubts about whether these offers were on the specific JW Convention website.... but yes , having gone to the publicly available Jw Convention site the logo identifies it as their own convention.

Well well we’ll! As the old song says “ Things ain’t what they used to be” . With all those distractions, how much of the Convention would I have attended?

Melbourne looks a nice place, especially on a cold dull Winter’s day in Britain.

• SadElder
    SadElder

"Likely" they will collect some revenue via clicks or reservations made through the page. They've hooked on to another way to make money.

• sir82
    sir82

With no higher education and high paying jobs, how do they manage to come for international convention?

There are pockets of surprising well-off JWs around the world. For them it's just another vacation.

That, and some folks literally save for years to attend one of these things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit