Gods' name removed in Silver Sword?

by AmyWatson916 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AmyWatson916
    AmyWatson916

Does anyone have an explanation about why the Silver Sword edition of the NWT removed God's name at Exodus 34:14? That verse is now different than the 1984 and 1970 versions of the NWT. Odd for an organization who believes that "God's name is of the utmost importance" as it says on page 195 of the Bible Teach book.

• Saename
    Saename

The edition available online says, "You must not bow down to another god for Jehovah is known for requiring exclusive devotion. Yes, he is a God who requires exclusive devotion." I clearly see God's name in this verse. Am I understanding you correctly?

My printed version of NWT also has God's name in it. It seems to be consistent with the Hebrew text. Leningrad Codex reads, "כִּ֛י לֹ֥א תִֽשְׁתַּחֲוֶ֖ה לְאֵ֣ל אַחֵ֑ר כִּ֤י יְהוָה֙ קַנָּ֣א שְׁמֹ֔ו אֵ֥ל קַנָּ֖א הֽוּא׃." The bold word is God's name.

• Mephis
    Mephis

It used to be translated as: "For you must not prostrate yourself to another god, because Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God"

You can't have God wandering around with lots of names if you're pushing the idea that he has only one and it's the most important thing in the bible.

• Saename
    Saename
    Mephis - You can't have God wandering around with lots of names if you're pushing the idea that he has only one and it's the most important thing in the bible.

So the whole issue is about God's name being both "Jehovah" and "Jealous" simultaneously? Somehow I don't find it impossible or muddy, if you know what I mean. It's sort of what a person would say today; for example, "Danger is my middle name." Of course, there is a difference between someone's "name" and "middle name," but I think it's just focusing too much on irrelevant details.

Still, it's strange the Watchtower removed it. The part "קַנָּ֣א שְׁמֹ֔ו" from the quote given in my first post clearly means, "whose name is Jealous." I guess it's another one of their attempts to "introduce the new light which commands that the Bible be translated into modern language that has nothing to do with the original." Whatever... I somehow don't care about this one.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    The Living Bible does a similar paraphrase for that verse as part of its attempt to make the bible more accessible to children and readers who struggle with the language of other translations. Don't think simplifying something which also suits a theological point will be too far of the mark.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

The name Jehovah should be removed anyway as it is not recognized as an accurate pronunciation of the four letters representing his name ie. YHWH

The more correct name if used at all should be YAHWEH and admitted as such in the first edition of "The Aid Book" published by the WT.

Their excuse of sticking with Jehovah was because it was the most popular name used in Christendom

What ?

On the one hand they claim Christendom has taken out the name so nobody knows it

And on the other hand they say it is the most widely used name in Christendom

Which is it WT ?

The name Jehovah , a mis-pronunciation of the four Hebrew letters wrongly translated JHVH , instead of YHWH has been used in Christendom since the 13th Century

So how could they honestly say it has been hidden from the public ?

smiddy

• Clearview
    Clearview

I'm not sure if it says he is "jealous" in any other part of the bible, but part of their reason for changing the wording could have been to lessen the HUGE contradiction that is: Love does not get jealous, so if god is love, how can he be a jealous god? i think the way they worded it is an attempt to erase that contradiction, probably among other reasons.

• TheWonderofYou
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No, I have got the name Jehovah in that verse in my paper copy of the 2013 NWT . The online text reads :

You must not bow down to another god,+ for Jehovah is known for* requiring exclusive devotion.* Yes, he is a God who requires exclusive devotion.

Sorry , I do not see your point... unless we are missing something?

• careful
    careful

Ex. 34:14, old NWT:

"For you must not prostrate yourself to another god, because Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God."

RNWT:
    "You must not bow down to another god, for Jehovah is known for requiring exclusive devotion. Yes, he is a God who requires exclusive devotion."

This change is probably an attempt to make the meaning more intelligible, one of the goals of the overall translation. The old translation was typically Freddie Franz eccentric. The verb "is" has two subjects, "Jehovah" and "he." That's strange. But I see no deletion of the divine name here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit