Things JWs Say That Don't Mean What They Think It Means

by NotFormer 26 Replies latest jw friends

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

I always say...When someone says JW are a cult...

I say No the world is a cult. The cult of Satan.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

That's a pretty standard JW view. The world is in Satan's thrall, so it is dangerous to consider any points people present against JW beliefs or statements. I remember being terrified of listening to anyone who might try to oppose what we believed. It's unhealthy.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

That’s true…

…but there’s another, deeper reason some JWs so vehemently dismiss “worldy wisdom”.

They’re not hostile and suspicious because they think it’s all false…

…they’re defensive and unreasonable because they’re afraid it’s true.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Great point, Vidiot!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Yes. The WTS would try to cover for it by claiming that the devil would use trickery, confusing us with words and arguments in order to draw us away from god. One was basically on guard, not for the logic or truth of an argument, but whether or not it supported our beliefs or not.

By causing us to fear a terrible punishment just for listening, we never allowed ourselves to consider if what we were being told was reasonable, if it made sense. We would not allow ourselves to challenge the dogma we accepted as truth. I think this is why I felt so free and so relieved when I accepted that I did not believe in god- I was finally able to think rationally without fear.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I didn’t have any really bad experiences as an active JW…

…but the older I got, the more intellectually hamstrung I felt.

It was not a pleasant feeling.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Sue, one anecdote that I'm pretty sure I've read here is when the householder says "I'm sorry, but I'm a Methodist!", the JW will quip "I'm sorry you're a Methodist, too!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit