CANDACE CONTI - MIXED EMOTIONS

by The Searcher 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Kanon
    Kanon

I think this case and many others of late are total successes. Countries legal systems are showing less and less toleration to so-called rights of religions.

Examples

Letters, Elders book etc - Before the fact that these were confidential would have stood up in court. Now they are being forced to be made public and put on record.

Confessions of paedophiles - elders being forced to testify where before they could hide behind the confession privileged.

Little by the little the courts are saying that you will be held accountable for your actions the great defence of confidentiality is slowly evaporating.

The Conti case in particular I feel is the key that opened Pandora's box. I think it helped bring to light the Gonzalo Campos suits those have a lot more damming evidence.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

My impression of this is it depends on which article you read. I read an eye witness account on here, and sort of thought it could go either way then I read the same account on cedars blog and got the impression that it was more in favour of Conti. There are how ever 2 things that stand out to me with these oral arguments. (1)there is a grey area here. (2) the fact that Wt couldn't give a satisfactory answer to elders pairing people up to work in field service when they were trying to say that there was no proof that this had in fact happened with Kendrick and Conti, certainly isn't helping Wt case.

If Wt looses it will be interesting to see what kind of a spin they can put on it. What we have to bear in mind here is that this case is widely unknown amongst the witnesses in general, and even more so amongst witnesses living out side the U.S. The other thing I find interesting is the inability in the JW community to even acknowledge that Wt may be at fault or to accept that there may even be a problem. To highlight this these are two replies that i got before I was shut down.

"Don't read overseas news papers because it was going to confuse me"

And my all time favourite was

"I've got better things to worry about", and that comment came out of the mouth of a long time regular pioneer who lives in the San Diego area. It would be interesting to know if she went around the territory telling house holders the same thing.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    I'd rather celebrate victory than dread.
  • truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

The Conti case has already done what we all have hoped for. It exposed the JW's for what they are.  It also gave many who were on the fence about talking to lawyers about their abuse the little push to do it.

The only disappointment I will feel if the WT wins this appeal is that Candace didn't get what she deserves, other then that I can only thank her for her strength.

I always share with my daughter (who was molested at 9) what Candace has done to help others and what a brave young woman she is to stand up to a powerful organization. 

I think it's important to remember the good that has come out of this case and to keep up a positive attitude....it's not over yet. 

Candace might be reading these comments. Let's give her some good vibes and well wishes :)

• Esse quam videri
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

I admire everything Candace and her legal team have done to reveal the disgusting skeleton in the Org's closet. I especially admire Candace's motives for bringing this to the attention of the world.

I think my biggest concern is that the case - as someone has already said - is widely unknown amongst Witnesses - the very ones who should be hearing about it!

I've done my bit in my previous congregation to "enlighten" some brothers and sisters about the case and I hope to spread the news in my new KH!

I also (optimistically) agree with GIORDANO's sentiment - I feel that the Org is almost in self-destruct mode by its draconian changes in virtually every facet of its business. The sheep are bleating!

I live in hope!!

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam
    I think many witness do know about these cases...not that they would admit it or talk about it.
  • Giordano
    Giordano
    I think we have to remember that JW's must march in step even if they are marching in the wrong direction. Questioning the Society is not an option. A lot of the sheep know who the wolves are........ the WTBTS.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Can someone please explain what the latest court appearance means for candace Conti ? Jan 2015 ?

I dont seem to be able to find anything that explains where she goes from here ! Anybody ?

smiddy

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Giordano - "Outside interest in the Mormons, JW's, Scientology even the Christian Scientists has been dropping. Any growth is basically inbred. People are too well informed or can access the information they need in a minute or two."

Yeah, it's kind of an "ounce-of-prevention-pound-of-cure" thing.

The decline of any authoritarian religion takes.... well... generations (and not the overlapping kind).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit