If Apostle Paul had been living in our time, would he have written certain things he did?

by venus 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venus
    venus

1) He wrote woman are NOT qualified to teach (1 Corinthians 14:34). In my experience, I have been taught by both teachers—male and female. Some of the female teachers were too wonderfully effective. This is equally true in all spheres—mundane and religious. Not to mention some of the efficient woman rulers. Germans proved Apostle Paul wrong in a spectacular way—they chose Angela Merkel fourth term as chancellor of Germany. In India even the Head of the Defense Department is a woman.

2) Apostle Paul felt he had no control over his behavior (Romans 7:24) and he thought this aspect is true for all mankind. (Romans 5:12-21) Yet look at the world of those working in fields such as Customer Service, Air-hostess … they choose to show perfect control on their temperament even at the face of unjust/extreme provocation, yet they choose to be the opposite when they are at home (I have first experience from my twin-sister who is working as an air-hostess)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Paul's beliefs were a product of his environment and times. His true genius was being instrumental in building a religion tenet that is now the world's largest. I imagine if he was born today, he would use his lust for power, drive and intelligence to become immensely wealthy running large capitalist corporations.

• venus
    venus

jwfacts,

You are very true he would have shown his lust for power because his hidden agenda could be discerned by any keenly analytical mind. For example, the book Genius of Paul by Samuel Sandmel is like an investigative journalism which shows how Paul tries to undermine some of the Gospel writers.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Undermined is putting it mildly. I view him as the great hijacker of christs message. I'm sure he a Joel olsteen would be pals.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

The apostle Paul taught to be 'all things to all people.' (1 Cor. 9:19-23) He simply taught a message that appealed to his audience at the time in the first century.

• cobweb
    cobweb

Many biblical scholars dispute whether certain so called Pauline letters were written by him. Timothy is heavily disputed, believed to be written later in the 2nd Century when the role of women became much more supressed. It is in 1 Timothy 2 where it commands that women not teach, assume authority over a man and must be quiet.

While 1 Corinthians is undisputed by scholars as being a genuine letter of Paul, there are those who believe that the part of 1 Corinthans 14 which talks about women is a later addition. There is no definitive evidence for it, but I find the argument quite persuasive.

See this thread from this board from 6 years ago on the subject.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/208679/bart-ehrman-says-text-about-women-being-submissive-on-1-cor-14-forged

• venus
    venus

cobweb,

That's interesting information

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit