Comment from Examining the WT Daily May 22

by Dreamerdude 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

Somehow I missed this silly comment in the WT study las year. I must have been daydreaming. But WT wants to make sure I get the point.

"After the death of the apostles, Satan fomented apostasy, which flourished for many centuries. During that time, there were no sustained efforts to fulfill the commission to make genuine disciples of Christ. But that would all change during “the harvest,” that is, the last days."

Please help me, you highly spiritual people. Are they saying that Jesus took an 1800 year break and didn't remain with Christians to make sure there was a sustained effort to fulfill their commission? We know that God took a Sabbath break, the JWs say for 7,000 years. But he did that after working for 42,000 years. Is Jesus supposed to take a break so soon after his ultimate sacrifice?

And when he got back to work in 1914-1919, did he and God really pick Russell and Rutherford as his most trusted Slave? After Russell foretold Armageddon to happen in 1914, based on measurements from the Great Pyramid of Giza?

• trebor
    trebor

The answer(s) will vary, depending on what year and what publication you are referencing.

Even within the same year, they may provided two different perspectives respecting the [S]lave, harvest, and similar topics. Here are some examples with references:

Light A: Progressive light - It always gets brighter. [Watchtower July 15, 1960 paragraph 14, page 435 bound volume]

OR

Light B: Flickered out - Slave was in spiritual darkness - inactivity at one point - requiring restoration. [Watchtower July 15, 1960 paragraph 17, page 435 bound volume; Watchtower July 15, 1960 paragraph 20, page 436 bound volume]

Event A: In 1919, released and blessed with greater privileges since they were now cleansed from any religious defilement. [Watchtower July 1, 1982 paragraph 21, page 24]

OR

Event B: In 1919, the slave continued to lead and promote Pagan ideas and practices for decades later. [Watchtower January 1, 1940 page 16; Jehovah’s Witnesses: Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom, page 198]

Feeding A: Slave fed itself as well as every generation thereafter with all members of the slave being fed well spiritually. [Watchtower January 15, 1975 page 46, bound volume]

OR

Feeding B: Slave unable to feed anyone as they were scattered or isolated with the death of the Apostles and associating with false religion. They needed to come into historic view again. [Watchtower July 15, 1960 page 435, bound volume; Watchtower February 15, 1980 paragraph 12, page 16]

Status A: Remained loyal resulting in the evil slave never dominated them. [Watchtower, February 15, 1975 page 109, 110 bound volume]

OR

Status B: Remained loyal but become part of weed-like Christendom and temporarily disappeared from view. [Watchtower July 1, 1994 page 5]

Source: http://savedfromthewatchtower.blogspot.com/2008/12/faithful-and-discreet-slave-which-one.html

• steve2
    steve2

Don't Paul's letters indicate there was apostasy even before the apostles died out? Look at his letters chastising those churches that were disagreeing with him and casting aspersions on their motives and intentions.

But, yes, the official JW view on this is like a moving target. For example, when they suggest Christ inspected the Bible Students in 1919 and approved of them as God's official channel, they avoid all mention of the ridiculous influence of Rutherford at that time. The crazy predictions about 1925 were yet in the future, as was his interpretation of who the "other sheep" were. And on and on.

This was the channel chosen by Christ?

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

Trebor, thanks for the insights into the confusion of WT. That makes it seem worse than the Babel Tower (BT). Its so hard to believe I was caught up in that mess. I wish I could have been saved from the WT sooner. now it looks so comical.

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

Steve, good points. I can't see how Christ could have used these people to try to accomplish any good. If he did choose them in 1919, he must be disappointed.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Dreamer dude, the answer is simple: They don't have a friggin' clue. Someone in the writing department is making things up again. Fanciful daydreaming, sounding ridiculous as usual.

The Christians hiding out in Turkey just kinda did nothing? Timothy, Clement, Titus, etc just converted to Buddhism? Those in Egypt ? Scrolls hidden all around the Middle East ... nope everyone on siesta until, until The United States of America! f-yeah!!!!

And the word "apostasy" is not even in the Bible. However, antichrists were already popping up and false teachers out and about while the apostles were still around.

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

Lieu, you're right about them making thei stuff up. That's an interestignt bought about young Timothy. I he went apostate about 100AD, along with his children and grandchildren. I wonder about the four daughter of Philip the Evangelist. They were so spiritually strong they could prophesy. I think at least one would want to marry an MSand raise some Christian children and grandchildren. All them must have stopped cold turkey about 100AD, so it would leave room in the 144,000 for all the crazy people that partake today.

Its possible the estimated 1 million Christians at the end of the first century all turned on Christ at once. But I doubt it.

This comment sounds like what Paul warned about in Hbrews 13:9 -

Do not be led astray by various and strange teachings, for it is better for the heart to be strengthened by undeserved kindness (grace) than by foods, which do not benefit those occupied with them.

• DangerMcDanger
    DangerMcDanger

@Dreamerdude, Speaking of Paul warning about future events, take a look at Galatians 1:8:
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!

I personally believe Paul was predicting Mormons with that verse. The supposed angel Mormoni preaching a new gospel to Joseph Smith and all.

About the OP, historical records, everything from Paul's writings to the canons of all the Church Fathers, reveal that the Apostle's Creed (written in the 4th century and still used by every mainline church plus fundamentalists) has always been the basis of all doctrines for Christianity. There is NO historical evidence that any bizarre doctrine of the Watchtower was ever worshipped by first-century Christians, especially a unitarian position of God. So, JW's have their history wrong, actually.

• jhine
    jhine

Dreamer dude and Lieu :-)

Jan

• smiddy
    smiddy

It makes you wonder why Jehovah`s Witnesses accept the Bible Cannon used by Protestants .( Apostates)

or for that matter why they accept the name of GOD Jehovah coined by Apostate Christendom .

One of their excuses for using that name was because it was universally accepted in Christendom (Apostates)

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit