How did you find Jehovah's Witness meetings?

by Vanderhoven7 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I personally have only attended a handful of meetings at kingdom halls. I did not enjoy any of them nor was I impressed by anything that was conveyed. Perhaps others did not find them boring as I did.

Nadia Viotto has this to say about her experience.

"Because it’s the same robotic rhetoric for over 100 years. The same recycled topics over and over again. Many people sit there on their cell phones tuning it out. The repetition is painful. Listen and obey the governing body. Do what they say. Believe what they say. Don’t think for yourself. Don’t read the Bible without the watchtower publications. Don’t critically think for yourself. It’s a system of spiritual death. You are not learning anthing new. You are being constantly indoctrinated into the doctrines of MENBecause it’s the same robotic rhetoric for over 100 years. The same recycled topics over and over again. Many people sit there on their cell phones tuning it out. The repetition is painful. Listen and obey the governing body. Do what they say. Believe what they say. Don’t think for yourself. Don’t read the Bible without the watchtower publications. Don’t critically think for yourself. It’s a system of spiritual death. You are not learning anthing new. You are being constantly indoctrinated into the doctrines of MEN. The Octopope in NY. The new light teaching is a hoax.

“A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. “New light” never extinguishes older “light,” but adds to it. Zion’s Watchtower. Feb 1881 p.3

New light on secret knowledge, is from late Babylonian culture and is a Gnostic concept.

They need to stop using this as an excuse for getting it wrong the first time.

If what is being taught as truth changes; meaning it doesn’t hold the same viewpoint; and goes in the total opposite direction of the “new understanding” which is now the new “Truth”. This means what is being taught now as truth makes the previous thing being taught by default… a lie.”

“Because they can’t admit they are false prophets they have to say that God reveals things gradually that there’s a perpetual revelation of light getting brighter. True prophets of God got it right all the time. This is backed up in Deut 18:22. “

This is not spiritual food. It’s spiritual death. There’s so much more to the Bible and learning what’s inside of it without Watchtower publications. Jesus used the word of God not Watchtower publications. This is all his true followers need.

Free yourself from this boring enslavement to these men and this false corporation and high control group.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

in order to pay attention: sat near front and took notes. It was boring because it was the same talks and topics rehashed over and over. Only actually had conversations about a half dozen+- before/after meetings. Rarely looked at the material before meetings, because that would make them more boring. ( If I knew what it was all going to be about, why go and sit through it?) ( of course you hoped no one would notice you hadn't marked any answers because you knew you would be judged adversely for having not studied.)

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They were fairly banal. Largely because the format was designed that way: the content was delivered in a purely informational format by speakers who were expected to stick to the material provided. The only time I can remember people perking up was when there were announcements to be made; even if they weren't dramatic, they were at least a change of pace and something that we could process mentally. Otherwise, the meetings are the equivalent of writing a phrase 100 times on a chalkboard, which is the sort of thing that was used to punish misbehaving schoolchildren.

People went because they had to, and to the extent that we enjoyed the meeting, it was because we got to get together with friends and have a bit of conversation before and after the meeting itself.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I found the meetings boring even when I was fully indoctrinated. Many of them were led by, and participated in by people who were unqualified to be speaking in public. It was like the original "Amateur Preacher Show".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    How did you find Jehovah's Witness meetings?

I went to the Kingdom Hall and there they were.

Seriously though.

Austere. Cold. Fake. Weirdly very depressing. I remember the smell of the damp toilets more than anything they were saying. When I tried to reflect on what I'd 'learned(tm)', it had no substance. I remember trying to use the WT Library(TM) to put a notebook together about the background of Jesus and the Apostles. Even with the Great Teacher book(tm) I found little of interest. It was all do more, do more, you are crap compared to the Governing Body(tm) (Pee be upon them).

When I became an Elder(tm), I needed alcohol to steady my reeling brain. Then I came to the realisation it was all just a big Corporation using a fake religion as a cash cow. That was liberating.

I cannot accept religion now because the Corporation has worked my swede over with a mallet of their utter unChristian hate.

If I'm damned to Hell, then it's their fault and God can apologise to me. If I'm right, there is no God, it's all just an empty psychosis.

• Ding
    Ding

When I first attended as a study, I found them interesting because they were so different.

By the second meeting I was bored by the mindless repetition.

Watchtower studies were the worst because the study conductors asked leading questions and everyone just parroted the corresponding paragraph (any other answer being unacceptable).

It was somewhat fun watching little kids get excited when they gave the "right" answers, but it was also frightening watching both children and adults get brainwashed by the mindless, repetitive parroting.

• Riley
    Riley

Once I realized not a single person in the Hall could give a brief summary of the Book of Romans or realize the entire gospel of John is about Jesus being the physical manifestion of god in the old testament , the whole thing became thing pointless and laughable.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    How did you find JW meetings?

Go on the website and scroll to the bottom of the page. There is a link that says “meetings” and on that page there is a button that says “find a location near you”. Put in your town and the language you require and it will find your nearest options. When you have selected a congregation then you can see the meetings times and contact details in case you need further information or in some cases Zoom access.

• zooooooo
    zooooooo

As a small child, I found them long. My parents sometimes would ask questions on the way home to see if we had been listening. I usually found it difficult to answer. My father usually wasn't pleased. In my early teens, I felt I didn't understand it, everyone was smarter than me, In my late teens I felt God had a gun to my head. In my very late teens and early twenties, I bought a workmate to some meetings and I felt how good the meetings were sitting there with him, I felt impressed by the meetings. In my twenties and thirties, I came home from meetings and spent most nights awake, I was irritated by so much.

I returned some years after I left, and found the meetings to be tedious and boring, I could have been at a meeting in the early 1960's. It was so old.

As a sum total, I suppose they were good. I doubt I would be a Christian if I hadn't been raised as I was

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

When I got married, my wife wanted to "experience" a JW meeting. I took her to the Memorial, and afterward I asked her what she thought. Her answer made me laugh out loud...she said I felt like I was at a tax seminar! The most joyless and wooden "church" service she had ever attended. Needless to say, neither of us has been back since!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit